thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Default Fire in Space better left cold?

LOL! I bet THAT topic draws folks in here!!!!

no this is not a anti BG thread. Infact its in praise of it. One of the episodes I really like is FIRE IN SPACE. Now the whole concepts has some big holes. Fire is not hard to put out in space. We all know that. The writers were idiots for not knowing that.

But one of the things that is so typical is that while the science was flimsy, you loved the characters. That was in part due to the actors being good people and charismatic, but it was also the writing and directing. And while they weren't science whizes they knew how to make characters that jumped off our screens and into our hearts.

But BOY would I love to go back and correct a few things.

First of all, putting out a fire in space is not hard. CLose a few hatches and open an airlock.

What they could have done to make this more believable was say that somehow the cylons started some sort of plasma fire. That they were able to create a fire that existed in the walls of the galactica. The "fire" was reacting with the materials the walls were made of. This makes more sense cause there are certain kinds of fire that can burn underwater. I remember playing with magnesium. Once you light it on fire, it will burn even if you put it underwater. It burns so hot it can supply itself with oxygen from the water itself. So I imagine in scifi its possible to start a fire in a material that provides its own catalysts.

And another small thing, blowing a hole on the hull shouldn't have thrown the ship off her gyros. They treated the ship as delicately balanced. An obvious plot trick for suspense. But the thing is a massive mile long hunk of metal! It takes cylon raiders packed with explosives ramming it. Every battle the ship is hit with explosive forces.

What I think would have eorked better is to instead of dealt with a fire, to deal with the opposite, cold. You just had a cataclysmic attack. But instead of dealing with a fire, say you knock the fire out early. But then you have a damaged ship drifting dead in space. A sitting duck for the cylons. And even worse, its slowly freezing. The cold of space is turning the ship into an icebox. Boomer and company are racing the cold trying to retreat into the warmer ship interior. Rescuers can't reach them cause of battle damage. And they have to bring a dead ship back to life before the cylons come again.

You could have some great poignant scenes of the fleet looking back at the galactica, their only protector drifting and turning silently in space. And they have to abandon her just incase she can't be salvaged. Fleeing from the cylons in a desperate escape. The fleet leaving the old girl behind would have brought tears to our eyes. And the brave souls who would stay with her to effect repairs against all hope would have been a sight to see.

Tigh leading the surviving ships. Apollo refusing to neve again leave a family member behind, not after Zac. Especially not Boxy.

Woulda been grand!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote