View Single Post
Old September 6th, 2019, 04:12 PM   #153
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News

Respectful counterpoint:

To be honest, I never saw the phrase: "Your popcorn is in another aisle" as an insult to the fans.

Were the reimagined show to have been some kind of big screen release (as the original series' pilot was), popcorn would likely have been consumed. What do we do when we go to the movies? Get popcorn. Does it matter which movie we're watching? No.

Captain Marvel is playing, but you came to see Alita Battle Angel (the more superior film, btw)? Your popcorn is in another aisle.

I also recall hearing Ron Moore actually responding to a question that asked if a certain element in an episode was a nod back to the classic show, and his first words were something like: "I really wish I could wave the fan banner for that one, but...."

He acknowledged that at its heart, the original Galactica had a very powerful premise. I think Moore gave the original show a bit more credit for being a good show than some fans here give him credit for acknowledging the qualities of the original.

Now, contrast this with the way Disney/LFL and Disney/Marvel have been treating fans of Star Wars and the Marvel Cinematic Universe/Marvel Comics. D/LFL and D/M have been extremely condescending and dismissive of the fans than Ronald D. Moore was ever perceived to be.

The showrunners/producers/writers/directors/actors of pretty much any new movie or show that remakes/reimagines earlier original iterations or which twists the ongoing narrative of certain long lived properties (The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, Captain Marvel, GhostBusters 2016, Oceans 8) or upcoming shows and films like Batwoman, Terminator: Dark Fate, etc...the showrunners and associates will verbally attack the fans who show any backlash toward these productions. They will accuse the fans of being Alt-Right, misogyinistic, racist, homophobic, Islamaphobic, transphobic, as well as actually saying (without mincing their words) that the old-school fans no longer matter.

They accuse the old fans of being scared of portrayals of powerful and empowered female leads or supporting characters.

They couldn't be more wrong. We have loved characters like Princess Leia Organa, Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor, Lara Croft, Padme Amidala, Wonder Woman, Supergirl, etc, for decades. They were all examples of empowered women who did not look down on their male compatriots, and in fact, relied on their male compatriots help (whether they'd admit it or not).

Now you have a movie like Terminator: Dark Fate coming out which is all "Whamen". Where is John Connor in all this? Why does Arnie's Terminator role seem drastically reduced? (and not just because of his age). You have a show like Batwoman getting ready to hit the CW which has been releasing trailer after trailer of cringe-worthy "feminazi" propaganda. "I never let a man take credit for a woman's work." (when she clearly has stolen everything Bruce Wayne/Batman ever had to make her pathetic self effective). Disney recently released an animated micro-series on YouTube called "Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures" and in one episode they completely redefine Princess Leia as a blood-thirsty war leader who despises men and apparently does not need them. I'm sure you've seen pics of LFL CEO Kathleen Kennedy sporting a tee-shirt that says: "The Force Is Female" alongside three other women.

I stopped watching the CW series version of Supergirl because it has extremely far Left leaning narratives....and they made no bones about it.

You have the upcoming "Thor: Love and Thunder" in which apparently Thor gives his powers over to Jane Foster (Natalie Portman). You have She-Hulk which is in the throes of early pre-production where the SJWs are demanding that her origins be changed (so that she "stands on her own", rather than being created as a result of the kindness of her cousin, Bruce Banner.)

Critics were extremely dismissive of the film Alita: Battle Angel. They accused the film's fans of being Alt-Right, and thought that Alita was somehow over-sexualized. What?!!! Alita is a positive role-model, as was Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman, and the critics call them Alt-Right and oversexualized?

They want to accuse US of being misogynistic? LMAO! That's the nature of the Left: Have all these poor qualities of humanity, and deflect and deny by "virtue signaling" (where they truly have no virtue to begin with) and by saying that normal people are the ones who possess these sickening traits. They are the ones who call evil good, and good evil.

By contrast, Ron Moore's popcorn comment pales (by a multitude of shades) in comparison to the vehement condescension and accusatory remarks being hurled at fans by Disney/Lucasfilm and Disney/Marvel, and any other production company that has succumbed to SJW influence.