View Single Post
Old October 8th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #111
Jubal
Warrior

Default Re: What kindled your interest?

I feel the best way to show how I feel about Battlestar is to comment on points that hit me from what others say. Plus I like talking Battlestar.

RESPONSE TO THE PAGE ONE COMMENTS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels View Post
Oh, my response didn't contain what initially got me:

They said John Dykstra was in charge of special effects. That was all they had to say to get me and my brother in control of the TV that one September night.

Dystra & ILM/Apogee did not disappoint; and the story was (IMO) even better than Star Wars.
Forgive me, what was Dykstra known for prior to Battlestar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish View Post
My favorites included:

The Living Legend.
War of The Gods.
Gun On Ice Planet Zero.
Lost Planet of The Gods.
Basically Living Legend is worn out on my DVD almost and Gun on Ice Planet Zero is my favorite because muffit saves the day. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by repcisg View Post
Just from the promos I could tell something special this way comes.

Bought a VCR just for the occation.
We recorded it on beta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_W359 View Post
Ah, the memories......
Fast forward a few years to the early '80s, after watching Blakes' 7, Dr Who, and re-runs of Star Trek, Space 1999 & Thunderbirds, I was pretty keen on any kind of show with a sci-fi element to it (Logans Run, Jason of Star Command, Salvage 1, etc). ".......
Wow... you know about Jason of Star command and Salvage 1. Again, just wow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_W359 View Post
P.S. The first time I saw 'Greetings From Planet Earth Pt.1', I remember the announcer's message at the end of the show (after the shuttle sets off for Paradeen) - "And Apollo and Starbuck will be in Sleep Mode until the same time, next week".......
That is a neat story teller's trick, letting actual time (the time between two episodes) give the feeling that Apollo and Starbuck are out there, sleeping, waiting till we see them again. I think I remember talking about that in the 2nd grade at recess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelfaries View Post
... No scifi show has yet to equal the sets of BSG with it's rotating Command Center and its Tektronix Vectorscan Computer Display Consoles, Oscilliscopes, Curve Tracers and Spectrum Analyzers. ...
I heard they borrowed flight equipment and simulators for that. And I loved the effect that it gave of that realism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrCain View Post
... Even when I was a kid though, the regal but kindly presence of Lorne Greene held my attention whenever he stepped on screen. Although I didn't exactly think of it this way at the time, Greene's Adama seemed like the perfect incarnation of a leader..
What helped on this to a 2nd grader like I was that he was so kind to Boxey. I think Boxey really did give me a gateway to me, a kid, actually being there.

But Adama as I get older, I grow to appreciate what he was as a character more and more. He was crafty, firm, and commanding, yet fair. And something else I get more and more as time goes on, a warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon View Post
The less said about the traumatic experience of "Galactica 1980" the better. .
I think it took me a while to see that Galactica 80 was as bad as we came to know it as. I was just happy to see Vipers, blasters, and in the end we got to see Starbuck again. Loved that.

So I plan on writing to the other four pages of responses just picking out the responses that catch my eye. But the basics about me...

ABOUT JUBAL....
-- The First Time Around --

I was in kindergarden when Star Wars came out. I was in the 2nd grade when Battlestar Galactica came out. My dad is the cool influence in my life. He would watch these shows, and I liked them. My dad found Battlestar Galactica, and I watched it.

I was HUGE into C3P0 and R2D2, so I vaguely remember being a little confused when the shiney knights were not the good guys. Weird! I might have wondered where the good knights were, but in time I figured it out.

There were ships flying around, there were explosions, there were robots. I was happy. I was easy to please in the end. :P

I collected Battlestar Galactica cards, and I got really wrapped up in the show. My grades faltered and my parents took up my cards.

I played Battlestar with the kid next door (he had the Viper and Cylon that could fire... they were always slightly better off than us.) I remember being careful not to loose the bullets.

We played Star Wars on the play ground. I played C3P0 and Leia would be kissing on me. I would there saying waving my arms like C3P0...

"OH NO! Master Luke is over there... you don't want me!!" Looking back, she got her hair put in the side buns for me and showed up to kindergarden like that. And then she had a Star Wars party and invited me and other kids and the Star Wars figures were the party favors. She was so cute. I hope I was cool to her but she was afterall a girl... :P

So we continued to play Star Wars up through the 3rd glade, but we also played Battlestar Galactica. And I remember we used to mix them. Soon we were fighting over who would play Starbuck... until we remembered he got the girl. That was a slight deterent. I believe I played a Cylon a few times even. That was fun. I vaguely remember a Leia and Starbuck along with a Han Solo. I might have played Muffit a few times just for fun. :P And I believe the black kid amoung us got to play Boomer.

It was good to be a kid in the late 70's and early 80's, and I thank my dad for making all that fun possible (and for being patient with me most of the time when my creativity got the best of me.)
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote