View Single Post
Old December 20th, 2003, 08:53 PM   #29
Corwwyn
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by malachi42
The numbers were better than they ever expected. It did better the 2nd night than the first, which is unheard of. Close to 4 MILLION viewers tuned in.
The overnights might agree, but the weeklies seem to tell a different (and much less flattering) tale.

Quote:
From where they sit, this show is absolutely positioned properly to be another Star Trek, they even have the "Star Trek guy" as their exec producer and show runner. In their eyes they are in the perfect position. Universal will put up all the money, where are the drawbacks?
And then they'll all be shaking their heads in bewilderment when it all falls apart and fails to deliver.

Quote:
Because of this great discussion I think I am honing in on the answer to my own question.
The bottom line here is the expectation that the studio would care about TOS because of it's fan base.
Perhaps, but caring about the fan base for its numbers is only part of it. What is more important about caring for the fanbase is to work out the formula. That is, to nut out what worked so well to create that fanbase and learn to go with that, because going against that will not only alienate existing fans, but will be unlikely to find/capture the lightning in a bottle that is the holy grail of BIG franchise seekers and results in enormous and enduring profits.

Quote:
Boy I wish this town worked on those kinds of principals, but it just doesn't. I have learned that lesson the hard way. When I arrived I thought I was creating art, I have learned that I am making corporate product. If I'm lucky it will be on something of some quality. It is a compromise that most of us in this business make.
If you are "the creative individual" as in all business you need to realize that TPTB are after the bottom line. You need to convince them that what you plan will achieve their goals (be it corporate or individual). If you do this successfully they will support you (for their own self-interest if nothing more).
Corwwyn is offline   Reply With Quote