View Single Post
Old December 16th, 2003, 10:37 AM   #28
malachi42
Bad Email Address

He's not my uncle.I've actually never met the man. My daughter is a school friend of his niece (which is how we got tickets to the premiere).
Yesterday the two of them were on my computer and went to the board to talk to Tyrol. So it showed up with my name on the board. They were promptly banned from the board in order to keep me from looking like a complete idiot! I can only hope that my posting style is a BIT more sophisticated than a 13 year olds. LOL

ANYWAY....

"No, they made it to make a profit. What pissed off so many people was that it could have been so easy to make it in such a way that everyone could have been happy. The choice was made to ignore a long-standing, vocal segment of the audience."

As I've said before, you're absolutely right Dawg, they made that choice. I understand that it is upsetting to so many who have cared so deeply about TOS for 25 years, but it is not inherently a bad business decision. No studio I have ever worked for would give a whit about making everyone happy, there would have to be millions of existing fans for them to consider their wishes. It's a pretty harsh business.

" That hardly seems wise business - unless you've got such an ego that you're convinced you know best, and thousands of other people who have a quarter century into the subject don't know squat.

"Granted, Hollywood doesn't work in the same exact way as a retailer does, thanks to the creative element still there (even though that creative element is now more of a corporate product).

The voices were out there, and they spoke clearly. Sci-Fi and Universal - Hammer & Eick and Moore - chose to ignore them."

Again, I think that is absolutely correct. But it is not remotely a personal decision based on a goal to destroy BSG. Nor a matter of ego. They made a decision based on part on demographics, which resulted in millions of viewers. So from their view they absolutely made the correct choice. Maybe they would have had a similar turnout if they had done it the way of TOS fans, but financially they didn't make mistake by doing it their way.

"Very true - no argument there. But it only goes to show what kind of management the franchise - and the fans - have had to endure for the past 25 years. BSG could have been as big as Star Trek ever was if it was handled the way Paramount handled their property; with respect."

How can we know that BSG won't be as big as Trek. (allthough the fact that it is on cable will probably eliminate the possibility because of the number of subscribers). Millions watched the pilot. Millions may continue to watch it, and millions may never tune in. We'll have to wait and see.
thanks Dawg for your willingness to have this discussion. I watched TOS, and enjoyed it. I knew people who worked on the show, and came by tickets to the premere through my daughters classmate, which was really my introduction to the mini. I was impressed and hearing about the reaction of fans of TOS was curious as to the issues. I was amazed by some of what I read. It seemed long on emotion and short on fact. I really apreciate the discussion that posters here have been willing to engage in, It has really helped me to understand. As I said before you guys have created an amazing community.
malachi42 is offline   Reply With Quote