COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Default Re: Remastered BattleStar Galatica?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
Well you must not like DK's BG edits then Dawg, cos DK while respecting the BG original outputs and was keeping the original content intact, he definitely took certain liberities with his own adjustments and SE upgrades with his fan edits as well.

Alright the key word here, being a fan edit. But it still amounts to the same end result, an interesting ; "what if" SE restoration of the original series if the studio themselves had done it instead etc!

If DK had the resources and did his own Remastered high quality edits of Battlestar Galactica as we're talking about. With models and well as CGI meshes fitted in there etc. You're going to tell me you wouldn't let personal bias of one of our own doing a successful edit would be different or more unexceptable than Universal doing it, if they did it the same way?!

I think not!

Come bet you'd be more willing to except it if it were DK's version rather than an official studio remastering even if it were done correctly as you say.

And there is nothing truly "Seamless" about any SE thats been done, EVER. A digital effect is just that, even subtle minor ones are just that; 'digital'. ST:TMP is said to be respectful to Robert Wise's vision and thats true, but lets not kid ourselves, if those SE effects were done optically, it wouldn't look anywhere near as clear or digitally neat as the existing current Star Trek: TMP re-edit does. If its done in 1979 then its done in 1979, if its done in 2000 then its obviously done in 2000. Seamless doesn't mean some stylised tampering wasn't done to improve it years later down the road. Seamless just means the 'said' job was very convincing and handled well, cos its very photorealistic or still very appealing to the eyes better yet, is all.
I love David's edits. Particularly the Return of Starbuck one. But he approached it with the right attitude, not the same attitude that Lucas took with the Star Wars re-edit. In fact, the Star Trek remasters took the right attitude, too.

But every tweak, no matter how perfect, takes away from the original. Remember the uproar over colorizing some classic movies? The whole point to that was that it took away from the vision and impact that the original had, that the filmmaker had a vision and that vision came through in black and white - colorizing took that away.

I can appreciate the upgrades - I did enjoy the Star Wars remasters, but the impact was greatly lessened by the editing Lucas did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
I certainly don't see why the deleted scenes can't be restored and inserted back into their original slots for a "remastered" edition. There aren't any commercial times or airing window's a 'Special Edition' has to answer to? And the editing of the original smoothed out as well, makes for logical sense doesn't it. Unless your always for; Boomer and Apollo drawing their blaster guns on Sheba & Bojay in Living Legend "out of order" one minute with guns drawn, the next drop a line of dialogue with no guns, yet put'em away when the 'kaxlon alarm' goes off.

Thats like huh.....?

And like i said, a Blu-Ray disc can hold the original untampered '78 version, long as a brand new 2010-plus remastered version in there as well, then = EVERYBODY WINS!!!

Nuff said!

KJ
I reiterate - every tweak takes away. Adding scenes that weren't there before changes the whole package.

My thinking is that the oft-repeated SFX of BG detracted from the storytelling; we were jerked back to the here-and-now, out of the story and into the technology of film making, each time we recognized the same raider exploding once or twice each episode. That is what I would change in a remastered version - and that's the only thing.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote