View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #1
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default My BG ships of the line

Hi, folks,

I thought I would do a little "Ships of the Line" type post in the possibility of working on making my fanfiction "Galactica: The Last Battlestar" into a CG animation/machinima project.

The notes you are about to read that accompany each ship comes from my Writer's Bible for "Galactica: The Last Battlestar". This also introduces my latest ship/kitbash, the Colonial System Patrol Ship. I hope you will enjoy it.

Battlestar Galactica:
Galactica-class battlestar
Crew: 2000 (but, under current circumstances-- 1200)
Commanding Officer: Admiral Adama Vor Ibrami U Adriana Per Caprica Kel Kobol.
C.A.G.: Captain Collis Vor Tigan U Anali Per Aquari Kel Kobol.
MARDET Commander: Commander Ermay Vor Rau U Leah Per Cancera Kel Kobol
Weapons: 2 mega-pulsars, 14 sub-pulsar anti-captial ship cannons, 2 planetary bombardment sub-pulsar cannons, 30 double plasma cannons, 500 point defense cannons, 200 missile tubes capable of firing conventional or nuclear tipped warheads, as well as EMP type -A, -B, an -C warheads.
Carried Craft: (Intended) 150 fighters, 20 Raptors, 20 Mambas, 10 light shuttles, 10 medium shuttles, 10 heavy shuttles.
(current circumstances-- Twenty-five SF-04A Kraits, twenty-five SF-41A and twenty-five SF-41B Vipers landed, in addition to five light, five medium, and ten heavy shuttles, and ten SE-6B Raptors (electronic warfare and battlefield reconnaissance craft), and sixteen SA-6A Mambas (specialized attack and bombing craft) filled the flight decks. One hundred and sixteen support craft in all, fifty eight per flight deck.
The Colonial battlestar is the largest mobile weapons platform built by humans in the Cyranus territories, and has been the most visible and reassuring symbol of Colonial military might for the last 100 yahren. The battlestar Galactica represents the state of the art of these mighty warships. She is larger than even the Pegasus, by 15 bar 100. (The Pegasus is, by far, the most legendary of the battlestars.)
The Galactica was meant to be the ultimate symbol of Colonial freedom and will, the first of a new line of battlestars that were to be created to deal with the Cylon threat. Then, the peace accords with the Cylons came about, putting a stall on further productions of the Galactica-class battlestar. The Cylons, thankfully, did not know about the construction of this ship, as it was indeed a top-secret project, known to only a handful of staff officers in the Colonial Fleet.
At the time the Cylons unleashed their treachery, and launched their vicious, genocide-bent attack on the Colonies, the Galactica herself was about two sectons away from full operational readiness and test runs. Admiral Adama was determined to see to it that the Galactica was operational in 24 centares.
It was intended for the Galactica to carry a crew of 2000, but because of the attack, she had only a skeleton crew. The arrival and subsequent destruction of the battlestar Rycon, heavily damaged while trying to escape the Cylon onslaught, provided Galactica with a number of personnel (among them, Adama's son, Strike Captain Apollo), fighters, and support ships. This brought her up from a skeleton crew of two hundred, to a more efficient 1200.
She was also intended to carry 150 fighters of varying type, 10 light, 10 medium, and 10 heavy shuttles, 20 Raptors, 20 Mambas. She had only a few carried support craft on her during the time of her construction. After the arrival of the Rycon, her carried craft were numbered at 75 fighters, 20 shuttles, 10 Raptors and 16 Mambas.
The battlestar Galactica mounts the heaviest firepower ever endowed on a mobile weapons platform. At the nose of the ship, she boasts two mega-pulsars. Over the ship, she mounts 14 sub-pulsar cannons, Two sub-pulsar bombardment cannons are found on the belly of the ship. Three hits from one of these cannons are enough to devastate a small city. For anti-starfighter defense, she has 30 double plasma cannons, and mounts another 500 smaller point defense cannons all throughout the hull. She is also armed with 200 missile tubes, built into the hull, capable of firing conventional and/or nuclear tipped missiles, in addition to deploying EMP -A, -B, and -C type ordnance.
In addition to her devastating firepower, the Galactica also boasts state-of-the-art stealth capabilities. Multiple stealth-runners conceal the Galactica's energy signatures from DRADIS detection, and her hull skin can darken to "space" black, reducing her visual signature to almost invisible.
The Galactica is the last known surviving battlestar, supported by three destroyers and patrol ships, now shepherding some sixty ships of questionable spaceworthiness toward a legendary world in a distant system... a world that would take yahrens, even decira to reach...a shining planet known as Earth.