View Single Post
Old October 27th, 2003, 07:46 AM   #2
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Tom has covered alot of key things that transpired at the con. I won't double up on his postings only add to the overall event. He's right on the size of the convention. It was not overally big but it really didn't have an effect either way. It was great from a fan's perspective. It was easier to communicate with the star's of the show. Although i didn't get much time to speak with the star's it was fun to see the interaction up close and personal with the fans and the star's they have come to love over the years.

The panels were great, with the exception being Ron baby's. He really was pathetic. But i give him credit for showing up. It took "balls" to come and stand in front of us. He made alot of excuses that just did not jive. To me, he thinks the original fanbase is a bunch of old, uninterested people that no longer is a threat. We've even been called radical's to a point. Well Ron how wrong they were. I was proud of the people in that room. They asked consice, straight forward questions that you had a very difficult time in answering. Oh and one more thing Ron, drop the tough guy attitude. It was very evident that you thought you were the next great thing on the planet and the arogence you showed was really tiring .

Moving onto Saturday, we finally got to see Richard's GWOM trailer. It has potential. We'll see how far it will go. The story follows along the same type of path that happened with Galactica. What i mean by that, Richard is trying to tap into the same thing Glen did, human's fighting for there very existence against an enemy bent on destoying them at all cost's. The story has strong elements and a solid direction to build on with some very cool actor's in key elements of his trailer. In saying that, from a fan's prospective the trailer was good. Richard has accomplished an amazing feet once again for what he's working with. Without the backing of a major studio and without major financial backing he's created something that most of us could only dream of doing. I hope it takes him where he wants to go.

After that i did not attend Dirk's panel. Someone else will have to tell what happened at his talk. I just remember seeing a pretty long line in the back where Richard was signing autograph's. He was there for quite sometime.

I instead moved over to the room containing the dealer tables. It also included tables for some of the actor's to sign autographs. One of the main attractions there was the cd-rom game setup with 2 different stations for fan's to try, for the first time, to fly a viper in combat against cylons raiders. Let me tell you folks, if you don't have an X-Box or PS2 now is the time to get one. This game will make you proud of the original series. Although there were small parts involving mini-series elements, 99% of the game reflects the *real* Battlestar Galactica. The cut scenes were produced by EdenFX and they really were great. The game actually used a premis from Tom DeSanto's failed production. They took what Tom was thinking of using for a future Cylon design and implemented a version of them into the game. The game cylon's are excellant! The voices are there plus the overall look is really stellar. And these cylon's really could make the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

I was able to have a long talk with the game designer. He, in no uncertain terms, is pissed off at the changes the scifi channel made him make to the game. If it were not for the scifi channel's/Universal's medaling he stated this game would have kicked major major ass. To him i say that it already does kick ass and anyone, repeat anyone that does not get this game is missing out. Believe me, it's worth every penny. Thank you to Warthog for making a dream come true.

continued.......