View Single Post
Old March 10th, 2005, 02:09 AM   #58
Lara
Squadron Leader

One of our cable channels is playing BSG early on a Sat morning. Am I spoiled or what, getting up and having breakfast on a weekend with this stuff!! There is something special about a broadcast ep (and I don't mean the adverts..) vs a DVD.

We watched GOIPZ last week and week before. Its amazing how well the show has stood up in look and in watchability. My impartial barometer is my husband. I watch the DVDs regularly, but he hasn't seen these eps in years, yet he sat and actually watched it, making the effort the second week to be out of the shower on time.

While there are still the plot holes and some hokey stuff, I'll admit they bugged me years back and I am over them now.. I understand why they are there, and that they wouldn't be there if it was filmed today.

I actually don't have a problem with the clones being variable: its more credible than them all looking and dressing exactly alike. I have a 'clone' for a husband (identicle twin) and while he looks and sounds like his brother more than fraternal sibs, they certainly have variation in their hairstyles and body type..

The muffit and Boxey stow away subplot is unfortunate, but there for 70's kiddie interest. I could have swallowed it if they had needed to take Muffit for its abilities in a hostile environ (daggit sled anyone??) thus causing Boxey to stow away with it. This would have made a nice echo of Starbuck stowing away (via the computer) to save Cree.

The action is good, with moments of tension and danger. Pity the gun crew can shoot a Viper down in part one, but miss the Galactica on their doorstep in part two.

Baltar was channelling just the right degree of revengefulness. It is clear that he has hardened his resolve. It has become personal, and his hatred is a logical outcome whether you believe him mad or influenced by evil.

I love Apollo's passion in his scenes with the Doctor. It is consistent from what we see in Saga, and sets him apart from the cookie cutter hero the character is usually accused of being..

Starbuck and the Britt clones at the end was a good humourous counter to the serious side of his concern for Cree. Likewise with Apollo, Starbuck is often assumed to be a straight stereotype and that just wasn't so.

Good and evil and the consequences of the choices we make may be an old theme, but it makes for a cracking story.

Cheers,
Lara
Lara is offline   Reply With Quote