View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2010, 01:32 AM   #116
gmd3d
Major

Default Re: Remastered BattleStar Galatica?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
Thanks, Reaper. I'd love to share some thougts about this.

Except for updating the master copy of the Galactica shows on a medium more durable than currently being used, why is it necessary to "update" the originals with new footage?

In response to this first question, I would say that I'm against selectively updating the originals with new footage because I don't like the idea of updating canon. I think that such updates may change the dynamic of the show.

When "updating" the original scene with what you "think it should look like" or "want it to look like", isn't that the same as "re-imagining" that particular scene?

This question was a definite poke at what was done with another show called Galactica, produced by the SciFi channel. The uproar, here and elsewhere in the TOS world, about the re-imagining was my primary motivation in posing this question. Does the wish for these so-called "updates" equate to "re-imagining" and do we now think that it's ok since we're the ones championing the idea? Personally, I think that it does, especially if it involves the use of scenes that can change the tone and dynamic of the show and also if it involves new scenes, dialogue, etc. It's like re-writing history.

We all know how others who "re-imagined" things named Galactica were vilified so, will we be doing that to ourselves as well?

I believe that we would be "birds of a feather" with Ron Moore.
Hi BST . the only scenes that I am think of updating are visuals effects scene , no single scene with an actor in it would be changed dialogue or other wise. only visually enhanced so that it will be persevered for a future if it need it.

updating the effects would have no baring of the over all story only in a visual sense and would not, in my mind change the over all impact of the show, save for the new clearer effects

its my personal conviction that it will only help and insuring its future ..

again I will say that the Visual effects are not standing the test of time, while still exciting (if used to much in the Series)

younger viewers now are been brought up on current shows .. (insert name here) are looking at modern visuals which are clear and are for the most part exciting. watching it once would possibly no impact on some one seeing it for the first time. but we all have watched it many times ...

and it the subsequent viewing are the test now for shows .... they never thought like in other shows about future DVDS and other High Definition hard ware etc.

Will our classic show stand up to that in the years to come ...... while the stories and the characters are always watchable and entertaining.

I cannot say the effects that help to drive the show (its is sci-fi after all.) are not holding up well ....... and thus shortening the battlestar shelf and sales life.

younger Viewers demand more now I think ......

what surprised me is the resistance to the idea, even if the new shots where done the same either with the same models or cgi (as much as possible).

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote