View Single Post
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #96
gmd3d
Major

Default Re: Remastered BattleStar Galatica?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post

Now, I have several questions.

Except for updating the master copy of the Galactica shows on a medium more durable than currently being used, why is it necessary to "update" the originals with new footage?

When "updating" the original scene with what you "think it should look like" or "want it to look like", isn't that the same as "re-imagining" that particular scene?

We all know how others who "re-imagined" things named Galactica were vilified so, will we be doing that to ourselves as well?

But, I feel that it is simply an indication of what can be done, not necessarily what should be done.
I think that some of the problem here is that we all have different ideas of what updating could mean ...

For me I look at it in a few ways or possible approaches that can be done.

1st. A straight clean up and enhancement of what there already is possibly the most agreeable to every one.. for example the last DVD set looks as it there was an attempt to enhance it.. for me it was let down.

if you see the screen capture I posted you can see the model arm and that awful glowing around the ship.. that should not be there ..

2nd. Removing the old effects and either film it with the original models (possibly very few would be still available) using more modern techniques to show off the models and effect to the fullest staying as close to the original camera angles as possible.

esp the Vipers landing that shows the scale a lot better of the hanger and other aspects of the internal lay out if possible.

3rd. same as number 2 but doing it in CGI and attempt to clean up the original to reflect the more modern filming standards and keeping the camera angles as close to the original as possible.

4th. Cgi keeping as above (3rd) but adding some tweaks to expand the experience. ie close ups of Vipers and other craft operating around the Battlestar, Cgi the hanger bay having crew men working around it as Vipers land etc.

showing laser placements and not having the laser look as if there coming from the same place all the time

5th. Cgi completely expand the look and feel as much as possible new camera angles ... that´s all I can thing of at the moment

Quote:
When "updating" the original scene with what you "think it should look like" or "want it to look like", isn't that the same as "re-imagining" that particular scene?
if we take say option (3rd) using the same camera angles using say CGI staying as true to the original as possible giving due care to what's all ready done giving better scaling for objects ....... I think this would keep the all happy about it.

the film-makers themselves made visual cheats to deal with time restraints would it not be great to see it as they would have like to have done it.

personally I like watching the reworked Star Wars trilogy... more than the original due to the improvements to the quality of the new effect . (things I don´t like its the tampering with some aspect of the live action..( ie Han Solos shooting second in the Cantina But I like where he is running down the hall screaming after some storm trooper and then he faces a whole platoon of troopers .. )

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote