View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2009, 04:27 PM   #349
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

By no means do I think that ALL fans of that series act like the ones I have met both in person and on line that were extremely hostile. However I do think that this site holds its own to a higher standard. We don't even allow ourselves to vent about that show on forums dedicated to the original. I have yet to find a site with such standards that is dedicated to the new show.

I'm not sure if you remember this Steve, but you and I once had a pretty decent conversation about the new series over on battlestar galactica club. I'd count you among the fans of that show that I fully respect. I know that I have about as broad a view as one can get. I've seen every episode of the new series (both my brothers are fans and convinced me to watch with them) and absolutely literally met at least a hundred of its fans face to face.

As a matter of fact, I had come to respect those fans a bit more as of late. However when a room full of people at a public convention start bashing the original series led by the panelists and moderators and a few other similar situations start happening I know I question those fans integrity. If I were witness to a more positive sampling (and I am quite active in those circles where it would be possible) I would not hesitate to accept a respectful fan of that series. I just had coffee with one last Friday as a matter of fact.

I'd like to see them have a policy of "no bashing" on their sites but that is a different discussion I suppose.

I don't think its bashing to say that the way the original series has been treated as of late by fans and the entertainment industry alike is a bit crummy. It is what it is. I think this thread has been 99.9% respectful in trying to find a way to help turn that around. Turn a negative into a positive.

Even in our set up of the costuming group we've had to address hostility that we will undoubtedly encounter. The policy is much like the one around here...for the original, not against any other production. However we still had to discuss it. Putting our head in the sand would surely mean the wrong response when it happens. I can't wait for that to be a non issue!

Anyway back on topic for me...and on a related note even. I think Aaron Douglas would be a welcome addition to a continuation. He has always had a healthy respect for the original and even had a bit of problem with the concept of a re imagining. Might be a good olive branch.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote