View Single Post
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #4
KJ
Strike Leader

Default Re: Remastered BattleStar Galatica?

Excellent thread Matador. Its indeed something that ought to happen with news of their being a BSG movie in the pre-development somewhat. And for any such remastering to be given the Blu-Ray DVD treatment, with all the deleted scenes from all the episodes restored to their original broacasted scene placement etc.

But unlike Star Trek Remastered (and also the forgotten remastered 'Red Dwarf' episodes), hope its a more hands on approach that doesn't miss out on remastering the elements that sorely needs them. Such remastering efforts would also greatly benefit from have a 5.1 or 7.1 Surround Sound DTS track added to the potential Remastered DVD's of the classic series in this manner. I've always said if the fanbase were truly organised properly. That David Kerin's fanedits should be sent to Larson or whomever in charge, of the vast potential way these edits could be given a huge spruce up.

Only thing this efforts got going for it, is the news of the Bryan Singer BG movie thats in talks at Universal right now. When the original series DVD's came out in 2003, they were originally something that might not have happened at all at one stage. Jack Stauffer told me at the Birmingham convention in 2005 of how it was Universal's video department that got the ball rolling on the BSG DVD release and not Universal themselves who's right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing as he 'metaphored' it somewhat!

Yes, i think with an invested fan effort, one thats not driven to getting Universal to get a BSG movie going this time. Is to convince the suits (or uni's video department) that a Remstered Blu-Ray DVD release of the original series keyed in with the big screen film release of BG, would be a totally smart investment in the long run. i.e. movie merchandise to sell during the film's global box office run etc.

Other than that, if the studios don't listen to the fanbase. Fan efforts also provide us with how things could look if they took the time to give the original some CGI SFX's. I've got plans to join a fanedit community and make a few fanedits myself, but nothings for certain, only that i've got a few ideas i'd love to act on if i were to do so.

A fanedit of the Pilot episode, Living Legend, War Of The Gods and a compliation made of some G80 scenes/SFX footage, but made out to be; a 'final' BG What if episode after 'Hand Of God'. Also a DVD akin to the Star Wars: Deleted Magic, Building Empire and Returning To Jedi documentary series, based on the pilot (so much behind the scene stuff has materialised now, cos of the internet?!) etc.

When the movie gets going for real, then we'll see.

I really want it to happen. But it really better be a "hands on" effort though either through Universal Studios or a company given the task (via extended licensing) of remastering the BSG episodes for Blu-Ray, moreso than the Star Trek remastered ones were. Cos they missed out on so much potential stuff to remaster properly, don't get me wrong, they were good but also kinda flat and lacking somewhat too.

I'd also hope such a undertaking to digitally remaster BSG would also include the latest technologies. Cos even in a few years time, something else will be coming round the corner like (3D/holographic digital projection) and like regular DVD's, Blu-Ray might be seen as average or inferior in comparison. That probably not really likely just yet, but in the meantime thinking ahead helps doesn't it! For those unseen *bumps* in the road, so to speak.

Any thoughts on what i've said?

Laters

KJ