View Single Post
Old February 26th, 2004, 11:01 AM   #133
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelen
I find it interesting to observe that I’m still struggling to accept the new Battlestar Galactica despite having loved it. The similarities and differences are bugging me so my brain keeps trying to rationalise it so that I can like it without it bugging me

Someone else said something similar I’m elaborating/ fleshing it out

The latest idea that I’ve come up with is this.

Many years before the first Cylon attack in the OS there was a difference of opinion amongst the 12 colonies there were those who did not believe… they did not agree with the way their society was structured were not religious and were more militaristic. Now this group of dissidents decide to leave the twelve colonies and find their own planetary system to colonize and never look back. they all shared the same cultural backgrounds which had some traditions they liked and kept. One of these was the use of call sings which in their culture are passed down and reused like hockey jersey numbers there were many Apollo’s and Starbucks (not on the same ship though) and the names of Battleships. Of course (like us) many family names were common like Adama and Baltar. But there were other aspects of their culture that they wanted changed and to help create their own identity and culture they changed some terminology like time references (centon, yarn , sp?etc.) over time they became a distinct society with their own identity similar but different than their ancestors (tos). After the cylons attacked the twelve colonies they went in search of other humans and planets and came across this new group of humans (mini) now they knew from experience that the trick to killing humans was to get inside their defences, but they had to try a different tactic than the one they used on the other Baltar (tos) this Baltar had a different weakness so they exploited it just the same with the same results and we pick up in the new series and follow what happened to these people we all ready know what happened to the twelve colonies and the other Galactica and when the continuation series starts well be able to find out what happened to them since we last saw them. How does that do? Does that work? I know I feel better for now, unless they actually adopt that take it’s going to niggle at my brain.
If you like the Mini and the Original that's fine.
I think you're posts are insightful whether or not I agree with you.