View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2019, 10:19 AM   #161
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News

I probably wasn't clear enough about how it's only new characters where I play the "casting" game to go alongside the original series actors. I've done this thing before with other fanfic properties and it helps for me that I've seen so much classic TV from the late 50s to early 80s that my mind automatically has a sense of who viable names are for what kind of parts if this were a theoretical 1982 production starring Hatch, Greene, Bridges etc. The only time I've done a mental "recast" is the Pegasus executive officer, Colonel Tolen who was played by a small part actor with few overall credits.

And one other amendment I would like to make regarding Galactica comics. Today, for the first time I discovered what Realm Press was trying to do in 1999-2000 which I was completely unaware of since I thought they were done after 98. What I read in just two issues (apparently all they did) just blew me away and makes me want to cry when I think of how that effort got sidetracked before it had a chance to take off and instead we got stuck with Dynamite's stuff. What Realm was planning is the way Galactica *should* be done in the comics.

Re: Star Wars. The radio plays I enjoyed too although I felt ROTJ didn't expand things as fully as I would have liked (though I grant it was a miracle they were able to reassemble almost everyone after 13 years). Marvel Comics I read back in the day between the first two films but overall the broader Star Wars projects never grabbed me because the problem was that with the films having this cliffhanger quality to them, I knew that any other property wasn't going to address the things I was more anxious to know about. I can only imagine how much more of a jumbled mess everything is on. Perhaps on some level, what SW fans are going through is what we might have gone through had there been a second season of Galactica according to that awful Larson memo that would have killed Sheba off and turned Cain into some Cylon replicant. That to me is more horrible to imagine than even G80 which is more easy to dismiss.

I used to be a little more involved in Trek novels and comics in the days before my total negative reaction to Star Trek IV ultimately drove me away from Trek fandom and confined me to just TOS and movies up to Wrath of Khan (I'd rather Spock had stayed dead). "Yesterday's Son" and it's sequel novel by A.C. Crispin remain my favorite Trek novels. The novels explaining Khan's background didn't interest me much but I did pick up the last one that covers the story between Space Seed and Wrath of Khan and the death of McGivers (and even though the wraparound stuff of Kirk is post-Trek IV it at least does fill in a gap for me there because WOK's one big flaw is that we never see Kirk and Khan face to face nor do we ever see Kirk have a moment's contemplation on his own responsibility for what Khan has become)
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote