View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:36 AM   #8
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsg1fan1975
So can anyone tell me why I have to be the one who gets the crap dumped on me all the time?
Adult daughter who showed responsibilty... and a susceptibility to the 'guilt' manoveur

My Mum does it to me all the time.
She's also in the habit of airing the problems but not quite getting to the solutions, and getting sulky if I don't spend several hours on the phone with her every week.

I keep telling myself its a generation thing: at my age she was looking after Dad's aged and slightly demented mother, at home, who herself had nursed her husband for the last 20 years of his life...and so the expectation carries forward of family reliance.
If I don't play the game I seem like a selfish cow, especially since I don't have kids and my brother has 4 , but I earn more, and work too much etc etc.
Its also her way of having a life, and its not as simple as saying I don't want to participate.

I don't know the answer. I'm down the well with you (and many others) all I can do is offer empathy and promise if I find the way out, I'll share it!!

Cheers,
Lara