View Single Post
Old December 14th, 2003, 04:02 PM   #19
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

malachi,

Your effort to be diplomatic is most appreciated and I do mean that.

What it all boils down to is that there has been a revival of Battlestar Galactica in the works, long before Hammer, Eick, and Moore showed up on the scene. False starts and corporate intransigence kept the product from appearing much sooner than a week ago. After the Fox effort with Singer and DeSanto fell through, Moore was handed the project by Hammer and Eick and they did what they wanted.
They owned the property so who was to stop them?

The only problem is that, in our combined humble opinion, their way was not the best way. Their effort trampled all that made the show special. Sure, it may appeal to younger viewers who don't know the back story. So would the same show with a different name.

All that we are saying is that they would have had nearly absolute guaranteed support if they had stuck to the original storyline and then, picked up the story from there. To a creative mind, the possibilities are endless. It would have been no problem to pick up the story 20-25 years later.

Finally, there have been remarks that the new viewer would have been disadvantaged by not knowing the back story. How were they going to view the mini? The same network, broadcasting the mini, has been broadcasting TOS re-runs for years. That argument (stated many times by others) falls flat with me. It's a matter of willingness.

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote