View Single Post
Old December 14th, 2003, 01:39 PM   #11
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Go to www.scifi.com/battlestar if they still have the Ask David Eick stuff up: read through that, it contains a lot. The lowdown had more, check his chat transcript archived at www.scifi.com/chat . Does anyone have RDM's popcorn letter still?

As far as "how not to succeed in public relations" RDM's letter was a case study in how not to approach an established fanbase that should be in marketing & PR textbooks. Very bad word choices, very "I'm the answer to all that's wrong with sci-fi" sort of attitude. Anytime someone thinks that "they" are the solution to something, that there is no other way than theirs, no understanding of why another way might be wiser or at least a stronger marketing way to approach a project, my "arrogance" meter goes off.

As Tom DeSanto is quoted as having said during X-men "always stay true to the lore." For treating their source material with a little respect and humility that team got 2 blockbuster movies out of a comic book franchise, kept fans mostly pleased, added fans from the movies themselves....

I like how they did it. I wish that Tom gets his chance with BSG again.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote