View Single Post
Old July 21st, 2003, 09:49 AM   #19
Laura Elizabeth
Bad Email Address

1-How old are you; are you male or female; and what state or nation are you in? Do you speak any languages other than English?

Female
Connecticut, United States
Spanish (not fluent)

2-Are you in school or college; what is or what was your major?

Graduated 1987 - Accounting; Master's in economics in 1990 (boring....) Continually thinking about pursuing a phd in the Classics, but haven't done anything about it yet.

3-What is your career, and/or eventual goal for it?

Programmer and accountant for a small, dying, dotcom. Goals? What's that?

4-Are you married or in a serious relationship? If so, does your partner share, tolerate, or loathe your love for Battlestar Galactica and/or sci-fi and/or fantasy?

Divorced. Or widowed... Ex died in 2001, so it's either.
No relationship at the moment. The last one was bad enough. We did share an interest in sci-fi.

5-Do you have children; how old; and do they or will they share your BG and sci-fi interest and/or obsession?

No kids. Two cats.

6-How long have you been a fan; and when did you become one?

When the movie came out, 25 years ago.

7-What kind of sci-fi and/or fantasy do you enjoy other than Galactica? What are your favorite sci-fi and/or fantasy books, movies, and TV?

BSG, Star Trek and Heinlen

8-What is it about BG and sci-fi and fantasy that appeals to you most? What do you look for in yourself as you enjoy sci-fi and fantasy media? For example, is it the battles and duels that you enjoy, the off-Earth environments and architecture; the aliens and robots; the feelings of fascination and emotion from the showing of stories and environments completely different from our own understood and expected experiences…?

Good story telling from a different perspective. When done well, sci-fi can make you see the real world in a different way.

9-What are your hobbies? Do you collect sci-fi memorabilia, write or draw sci-fi and fantasy?

No on collecting sci-fi memorabilia, writing or drawing. It's entertainment for me. Hobbies include crocheting, cooking, spoiling my nieces and nephews, reading, computer game playing, politics.

10-How long have you been posting in sci-fi forums? Why do you frequent these boards? What do you get out of it; and what do you hope to give to others?

I post more now than I have in the past. I mostly lurk. I just enjoy reading people's thoughts, ideas, etc.

11-Who were your childhood heroes or role models?

My Grandfather.

12-What film or TV characters do you slightly or largely resemble in appearance and/or personality and actions?

Daffy Duck?

13-Name something you dreadfully fear yet dearly love and enjoy and/or find relaxation and fascination from?

That question made my brain hurt. No answer.

14-At the end of your physical life, what do you most expect or hope to be remembered by, by those outside of close family and friends? And, what message do you want inscribed on your tombstone?

I've never thought about it. It would be nice to be remembered as a decent human being with a sense of humor.

No tombstone; either out with the trash in a Hefty bag or cremated.

15-If you could contribute one aspect of yourself to all of humanity, what would it be?

Empathy.

16-If a book or movie were to be made about your life, what would you have it called?

More boring than Dust Bunnies?

17-If you could figuratively “consume” or absorb three famous people to gain or understand their particular knowledge, attitudes, and insights, who would they be and why?

Michael Servetus, (1511 - 1553), author (amoungst other works) of "Christianismi Restitutio", in which he questioned religious doctrine; physician; linguist. Burned at the stake as a heretic in Calvin's Geneva. Fascinating person and I would like a better understanding of his passion, of what made him "tick".

Ferdinand Magellan, explorer. Again, the passion that sends someone out into the unknown to explore, to find, to know.

I'm having a hard time coming up with a third, so here's a short list:

Mother Theresa
Shakespeare
Lincoln
Marlowe
Martin Luther King
Jefferson
Voltaire
Charles II
Samuel Pepys
Elizabeth I
Harry Truman
Petrarch

Last edited by Laura Elizabeth; July 21st, 2003 at 09:54 AM..
Laura Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote