View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #3
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: BSG 35th Anniversary Blu-Ray Review

WOW! Simply.......WOW!
I found several copies of this at my local Best Buy (at the time when it was reported that one might be lucky to find a singluar copy in-store, or would otherwise have to special order it), so I jumped on the chance....and WOW!

They did a bang up job of remastering this. With the exception of the occasional (very minor) VFX flaw, this really looks beautiful. I'm just now at the point where Apollo and Zac are running from the Cylons, and it looks gorgeous. But, man, did they really clean this up?! They did indeed.

Methinks Universal might have done this with an eye toward possibly another reboot....but this time geared more toward the feel (or at least the spirit) of the original series. If they were willing to expend even this much effort in just cleaning up and sharpening up the theatrical version of Galactica....well, I won't hold my breath, but the thought is nice.

Another nice advantage is with all this hi-def sharpening, one could really do some model research and set research for their own CG projects! It's already got me stoked to push forward on my BattleSTAR Galactica WARS project.

You can also see, however, the low detail of the background battlestars during the fleet shots.

At 120hz, the show has that classic BBC Doctor Who/Blake's 7 look to it ('cept with better visual effects), but that doesn't bother me one bit.

And WOW, I never even noticed before, the green, winged, lizard-like pet on the Imperious Leader's left shoulder before. And LMAO, also never noticed the "MADE IN USA" readout on the scanner screen when Athena is running the Viper damage check with Starbuck. There are just soooo many things one can notice in this high def upgrade...some of which give me a good laugh. It's like finding Easter Eggs. Example....an Earth name found on a pipe that Apollo is examining when searching for solium leaks....Kennedy. (It would seem that the new series was not the only Battlestar Galactica show to have Earth borne names, the old series did it FIRST!.... I am, of course, being facetious, but yes, Kennedy does appear as raised lettering on the piping. Obviously the manufacturer of said piping in the shooting locale. )

If someone was not aware like we are, one might not even be able to determine that this was shot in 1978, such is the upgrade in quality. And although I was never fanboyish about this "Sensurround" thing, it does state on the audio profile for the packaging that there is indeed an embedded 2.1 Sensurround format.