View Single Post
Old March 11th, 2004, 03:23 PM   #25
Antelope

I am going to have to believe that in the colonial world of Moore whatever type of material they use in place of our type metals to make space warships must be denser and have a melting point greater than anything what we can even imagine.

Realistically that Battlestar should have been entirely destroyed if that was anything remotely close to a 50 kiloton nuclear weapon.

In the theoretical realm however if as some speculate the way to move in space in the future is by manipulating artifically created gravitational fields. Maybe a futuristic warship like Galactica is shielded by an artificial gravitational field. Theoretically other than at point of impact the nuclear force would simply sweep around the Galactica after exploding only damaging the immediate point of impact. Being that no one is floating around inside the Galactica or any other colonial ships I would assume they have conquered the technology of artifical gravity fields. As such a nuclear weapon would have a big impact on undefended civilian areas but little to no effect on a functioning shielded warship. It would look spectacular but have little effect.

If the above is true it would also mean the bullets would not strike a Battlestar unless they were made in some unique manner that repelled artificial gravity fields.

Interesting thoughts on realism. I think this may be simply a suspend reality issue. The vipers seemed to move off inertia from a rail gun and old fashioned rockets. I saw no visible engine on the cylon raiders. I think this is an issue not to ponder to hard or our heads will hurt and we still won't have an answer that works.