View Single Post
Old August 24th, 2019, 01:00 AM   #5
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Default Re: What order are the Richard Hatch books to be read?

I honestly got lost around the 2nd or 3rd book and I never really went through the rest. The most distant archives at this place may in fact have some harsh words at this board I wrote back in the early 2000s about how this series was going. The 1st book got things off on the wrong foot with me and a lot of other people because it was clear that Hatch's ghostwriter didn't sit down and watch the episodes and got a sense of the overall story arc that took place over the course of the season. Not only were characters messed up (Rigel is referred to as male and Omega as an old man), but key points that happened during the run like Baltar's imprisonment and release were forgotten or ignored. And at one point (I've forgotten whether this was in the 1st or 2nd book) Apollo meets Zac as a SOL being and when he asks him where Earth is, he gets the answer, "We don't know" which totally contradicts WOTG (this is a point even G80 remembered!). There was also an underlying subplot point about pure-blood Kobollians that I remember not sitting well and then after initially remembering (sort of) the fact that Apollo and Sheba were on the verge of a relationship suddenly by the next few books, Apollo and Cassiopeia (!) are an item! The whole tone of the stories just seemed like a group of strangers to me.

Ironically, I am going to be getting the first three novels myself because after all these years I do want to see if I can approach these differently in the post-GINO world. I would recommend reading for yourself and see if you can get past the fact that you will not see continuity with the episodes observed, which I admit is a big deal with me.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote