View Single Post
Old December 17th, 2003, 08:20 AM   #2
malachi42
Bad Email Address

"Second - the entire thing was much too dark, and not just the lighting and the costumes. In general, I don't like seeing sex perverted - I like seeing it presented hand-in-hand with healthy, shared love. But then seeing it perverted and mixed up with cylons and violence. Too much. And don't even get me started on the baby thing. The whole thing was really sick and twisted, like a lot of the sci-fi channel's other programs."

Curious about this having read a lot pertaining to this on the various boards.
The sex was not very explicit. It was implied. The sexual relationship between 6 and Gaius was most definitely not one of a healthy commited relationship. But wouldn't it be very strange if those two were suddenly involved in such a relationship? I also found it rather tame compared to much of current television.
People having sex outside of a healthy commited relationship is an everyday occurence. Is it the job of television to be a moral authority? To present us only with shows that are examples of good moral behavior? Who decides what that is? If you find it offensive can't you turn yout TV off and leave me to make that decision for myself?

The baby. I am reeally puzzled. It wasn't presented as a positive act to kill a baby. It was horrifying and further illustrated the lack of human emotion in the Cylons. Has anyone seen any of the cop shows lately? Episodes based around child abuse and baby killing happen on television all of the time. It is presented as a act of horror. the perpetrator usually goes to jail. Should we get rid of police and courtroom dramas because they are about crime and immoral acts, and they're often pretty dark. I'm not sure how many babies I have seen die on ER, often as the result of a violent act.
The scene in the mini was not graphic, again it was implied.
What do we see the function of television to be? I don't really want it involved in my families morality, I can take care of that by myself.
malachi42 is offline   Reply With Quote