View Single Post
Old March 4th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #95
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: Where Are The Fleets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher454 View Post
Yes a Battlestar is much more than just a carrier. I think its an all-in-one supreme fighting ship.
I believe that the primary defense on a Battlestar is mass, lots of it. BSG does not use shields like we see in Trek and to a lesser extent Star Wars. To survive in battle a battlestar has to be big enough to absorb a lot of pounding. This means that there is a lot of usable space inside. The battlestar serves as the carrier, the battleship and the troop transport.
While I do think there would be other combat vessels such as long range scouting ships I dont think colonial battle groups would have large numbers of intermediate sized craft. Most of the ship types we see with earth Naval craft have simply been consolidated.
Recall, in TLL, Cain orders "all electronic defense shields to maximum power". We also, in the pilot, see shots directed at the Atlantia diffuse into colored smears, as they strike parts of the ship. There are shields, but their capability and extent are never made clear.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote