Thread: 2 0 1 2
View Single Post
Old January 17th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #13
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Default Re: 2 0 1 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
Sorry but, I can't seem to reconcile your discontent with today's offerings and your appreciation of previous disaster flicks like "The Poseidon Adventure", "Towering Inferno", "Earthquake", etc.
I'd only point out that I did not mention "Earthquake" which I happen to think is a very bad movie with a bad script. I only mentioned "Poseidon Adventure" and "Towering Inferno" and the latter I think works because it is for all intents and purposes a big-screen epic quality episode of the TV show "Emergency!" on many levels, particularly embodied by Steve McQueen's fire chief. McQueen is simply shown responding to this disaster doing his job, and isn't given a bunch of contrived emotional connections like having to rescue a wife or daughter who happens to be attending the party. That Jack Webb style level of professionalism is what elevates the film above the latter day counterparts IMO.

And while it would be a stretch to call both films high-brow, they nontheless had an Oscar winning scriptwriter in Stirling Silliphant who I think its safe to say knew how to write better than the script writers we have today.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote