COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Default Re: Anyone else read the Ender books by Orson Scott Card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon View Post
John,

I gotta admit I'm not fond of Dune either these days. The framework and storyline of the novels was epic and extremely well done but given the past couple of decades since it was first written, my fondness or even tolerance for a story about a righteous religious jihad in which the faithful slaughters the infidel isn't something I much want to embrace.

The phrase "We will kill until no Harknonnen breaths Arakeen air" doesn't sound like an influence from anywhere other than Islam to my ears and these guys are supposed to be the heroes.

All my best,

Russell
I'm not disputing any of that (although I'd wager similar sentiments would be expressed by anyone against a cruel and oppressive regime regardless of the religions of either party). And I understand why, today, there is such discomfort surrounding Herbert's story.

But you must also admit that the Harkonnens were unremittingly evil, treacherous, and did not have a shred of redeeming quality to them (their genetics notwithstanding). Throwing off the yolk of the oppressor is a classic theme as well. What Herbert did so well was take a desert religion to a desert planet and make it one thread in a complex weave of storytelling.

Whether or not you like it. It is a very long, complex, detailed tome and it takes a lot more effort to keep everyone and everything straight within the story than in most novels. He did nothing to simplify the political machinations or the blending of religious zeal, or the potential corruption of religion, or relationships personal or public. Some people simply don't like such complex writing. Some people thrive on it. Diff'rent strokes...

I think I've read Sundiver. I'll have to look it up again.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote