View Single Post
Old December 11th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #17
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Damocles,
I don't disagree that I would prefer to live in the Galactica universe than the ST universe, but I do disagree that the Borg would find the RTF even remotely interesting. I don't see, in typical episode evidence, that the technology of Galactica is "more advanced" than Star Trek. Don't get me wrong: I'm no fan of Berman's Gordian Knot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles
I don't know spcglider;

Reasons to technologically investigate the Alligator;

1. artificial gravity.
We've seen the Borg already have an efficient artificial gravity system.
Quote:
2. tylium energizers-that alone is sufficient to want to gut the 'gator'. What kind of power source can boost a stick iron rocket to 1/10th c?
They already have a power system superior to that. Especially for moving ships around. And they don't have to constantly go digging around on planets for massive amounts of raw fuel to push their box or sphere or dodecahedrons across space.
Quote:
3. turbolasers? What kind of particle beams do the Colonials use? Would it be useful to a retarded Berman Drek(TM) species still equiped with "cutting" beams and NDF "phasers"?
Qite frankly, I don't know. Those "cutting" beams sure seem to be able to whack up federation vessels with relative ease.
We'd have to see whether or not turbolasers could penetrate Borg sheilds. If they do, the Borg MIGHT want to know how they do it, but they could discern that by capturing ONE viper. No need to bother with the gator. Why stir up a nest of bees when you can learn everything you need to know from one drone?
Quote:
4. Solonite. Whatever that was; it was powerful enough to burst a world asunder by simply catching fire. The Colonials know how to mine and use it safely. It is their explosive of choice.
That was a planet basically MADE of tylium. It obviously never experienced thunderstorms or meteor impacts in it's history or it would have blown up long before the Galactica arrived. In fact, I wonder if they made Starbuck stop smoking while on Carrillon? One errant flick of his ash and KABOOM!!!
Quote:
5. And there is the Cylon side of the equation.
a. Centurions are smarter than Borg drones-not by much, but they are an ayeye worth investigating.
b. The Ravishol pulse cannon is probably superior to any phaser I've seen.
c. The Cylons have some kind of propulsion system that compares favorably with whatever the Borg use.
None of which have anything to do with the RTF. Though it would be VERY interesting to see the Borg and the Cylon Empire go toe-to-toe. Much like the Daleks and the Cybermen in the last season of New Dr. Who.
Quote:
d. Both the Cylons and the Colonials have superior ranged fire control systems to any Berman Drek(TM) technology I've seen.
Yes! It's made of magic! And according to the episodes, highly unstable and inconsistent. That must be why they allow pilots to be the interface between the readout in the cockpit and the trigger button.
Quote:
e. and there is the Viper and Raider technology to consider.
Do you mean fightercraft in general? Much more efficient and responsive fighter-style ships exist in the Star Trek universe. The viper is basically a chemical rocket and the Raider requires a minimum of TWO pilots to function. Don't see much in the way of improvement there.
Quote:
There is enough superior technology there for the Borg to want to investigate the R/T fleet and their pursuers.
I dunno... gonna hafta give some darned good examples if we're going to try comparing apples to oranges.

-G