View Single Post
Old September 27th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #1
gmd3d
Major

Unhappy Paul Newman has died

Hollywood movie legend Paul Newman has died at the age of 83 after a long battle with cancer

Spokeswoman Marni Tomljanovic said Newman died yesterday.

Broadcaster Sir Michael Parkinson told Sky News: "He was a link between a generation that had Cary Grant and James Stewart and all those great people and Tom Cruise.

"He was that bridge between the two and in that gap he was the best of the lot."

Newman finished chemotherapy treatment for cancer in August and it was widely reported in the US that he had only weeks to live.

In June this year, a neighbour and business partner said the actor told him about the disease the previous year.

In May, Newman pulled out of directing John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men for unspecified health reasons.

The actor's representative Toni Howard had previously dismissed the cancer claims as simply "not true".

Newman retired from acting in 2006 after a 50-year career that included Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid (1969), The Sting (1971), The Hustler (1961), Hud (1963) and Cool Hand Luke (1967).

Newman was nominated for 10 Oscars, winning best actor for his role in The Color Of Money in 1986.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote