View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2005, 03:28 PM   #6
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Okay, time now for the in-depth account of what I did here. As I said this was the first time I tried to "improve" over an existing adaptation.

#1-For the opening patrol sequence of Silver Spar group, I decided for no other reason to add Cree from GOIPZ just to show that he's still around (and that gives Starbuck a little extra reason for being concerned about what's happened to them)

#2-Where does the triad game take place? Confusing editing makes it look like it takes place on the Galactica but of course we see in subsequent episodes it takes place on the Rising Star. Since I doubt a battlestar would have a triad court with a spectator's gallery we adjust this one rather quickly.

#3-In the episode, we recall how when Apollo, Sheba, Starbuck arrive at the wreckage of the ship the infrared lighting is gone and they're "normal" again. This was because they'd run out of infrared film, but the subtle implication that I made explicit was because the vegetation was burnt out that's why the red illumination disappeared and things were "normal" again.

#4-There have been a lot of complaints (I think unjust) about the manner in which Sheba submits to Iblis' control but just to put those people at ease, make it clear that from the outset Sheba's loneliness is what Iblis is taking advantage of, and the fact that Apollo hasn't felt able to be open with Sheba about how he really feels about her has only compounded that. Plus, I felt it was important to show that Apollo's mistrust of Iblis stemmed more from jealousy and less from "Apollo has perfectly reasoned it out as to what Iblis is."

#5-Make sure that for the Council sequences, more of the Council members we only saw in a single episode like Sires Anton, Domra etc. play a part.

#6-Major change that I felt was needed to address a glaring plothole. After Baltar is captured, why doesn't Lucifer simply launch an attack of his own? And how is it that the Cylons lose track of the Galactica after this episode when Baltar's baseship has to know where the Fleet is at this point? This requires the use of subpoints for this one!

A. After the suicide attacks of "Fire In Space" end unsuccessfully, Baltar, who has lost his two supporting baseships in LL has to maintain the pursuit but he has to do it with a depleted force that consists of what's left of his own fighters and what can be gotten on short notice from Gomorrah. He is in a position where he can still stalk and pursue but not launch a final assault at this point because of depleted strength (and this would also account for him getting spooked by the SOL)

B. Lucifer recognizes the folly of what Baltar is trying to do and decides that he's going to purposefully write him off.....initially. However, after Baltar's disappearance he received a communique from Spektor (newly installed as Gomorrha's basestar commander thanks to Baltar's influence) that tells him that the Imperious Leader wants to know what Lucifer intends to do about Baltar's disappearance. Lucifer thus, is left with no choice but to mount a new attack which segues into......

C. After the scene of Baltar being humbled before Iblis and being dragged off, a skeptical Council member (Anton) challenges Iblis on the idea that the first task of "delivering the enemy" has been fulfilled because Baltar's baseship still knows where the Fleet is, and that a more dramatic demonstration is required to consider the first task fulfilled. Iblis ends up agreeing to this.

D. When the Cylon attack force closes in, Iblis, in a moment of seclusion, uses his power of dominion over the Cylons (because they are, as we learn ultimately from his conversation with Baltar, his own creation) to in effect have the baseship and the attack force hurled across the stars, rendering the danger of Cylon pursuit now eliminated from the Fleet's standpoint. *This* dramatic demonstration of strength on his part against the Cylons is what causes the Fleet to go into a celebratory stupor that we see in Part 2, not the mere capture of Baltar.

E. To correlate with "Hand Of God", there is a final scene of Lucifer offering his report to the Imperious Leader on what has happened, and the Leader orders the dispersal of all available baseships across the widest possible perimeter in the hopes of picking up the Fleet again. That is how one lone baseship will be in place to intercept in "Hand Of God."

#7-The rest of the story pretty much proceeds the same as we know it. The only major change I made was that after Apollo's "death" and resurrection, Sheba by this point knows that she's in love with Apollo but isn't going to press him on it until she feels the time is right (which of course won't come until HOG).

And that's that!
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote