View Single Post
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:32 AM   #95
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Default Re: Remastered BattleStar Galatica?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
Now, I have several questions.

Except for updating the master copy of the Galactica shows on a medium more durable than currently being used, why is it necessary to "update" the originals with new footage?

When "updating" the original scene with what you "think it should look like" or "want it to look like", isn't that the same as "re-imagining" that particular scene?

We all know how others who "re-imagined" things named Galactica were vilified so, will we be doing that to ourselves as well?
The bottom line to your first question is simply, it doesn't "HAVE" to be done. Even with the Reused SFX, the show stands on it's own. If it didn't, we wouldn't be here right now. There wouldn't be the following that there is, and we might be talking about Buck Rogers, or Flash Gordon. Galactica, as it was presented to us, is GOOD TV. The limitations of tech and money at the time required the reuse of the Permiere's SFX in the show, so that's what we got. But the thing to remember is the Story was told by the actors, not the SFX. And that, other then restoring the QUality of the prints, should not be changed.

To answer your second question, If we were to update these special effects, I think the main goal, that some people are supoporting here, is to add a uniqueness to every space battle. Change establishing shots, make every battle different. Just add Variety to the SFX. Where it "needs" it the most is in the Movie version of "Mission Galactica" where they reuse the Footage of the Galactica (and Fleet) going through the Nova of Madigon to protray the Pegasus moving through a Cylon Minefield. Or in Living Legand, the reuse of the Fog hidden Frieghters from Saga for the 2 Cylon tankers.

In a way this is Reimagining the series, but the idea is to better highlight the acting of the Cast with unique SFX for them.

As you get more into restoring deleted footage and possibly inserting in dropped subplots, then you need to ask yourself more and more if we should do this.

My desire, in supporting these "fan Edits" would be to compliment, not replace the originals. I love David Kerin's fan edits, The work of one man, who obviously loves the show as it was, and wants to put new highlights into the work. If we could get more people working on the same project, we could refine that work to "broadcast quailty" and try to present it to more fans.

That's how I would answer your Questions BST.

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote