View Single Post
Old February 27th, 2004, 11:18 AM   #19
Antelope

Dawg: I really did read the stuff at cylon.org. That's the first time I was let down on the Desanto concept (although I would still like to see it made). I also thought the review of Moore's version there was very thought provoking. The Hatch interview there was also interesting which I elaborated on on some other threads.

This whole Star Blazers thread has been a great walk down memory lane. Just like Westy said, with hindsight I think Star Blazers replaced to some extent what I lost when we had no more battlestar. Later I think the original Robotech (Macross) series again picked up the torch. As an adult I think I have been let down by Space Above and Beyond after having high hopes. The universe of Moore's Battlestar Galactica is currently carrying my hopes for the genre.

The stories may all be unique but they are also the same:

A small band of warriors take up the torch to save humanity after we have been all but annihilated. We have the love and loss of all the characters as they move in a world of fate far beyond their control. They face impossible military odds and yet continuously pull victory from the jaws of defeat. Over time they become an extended family who love, trust, and are willing to sacrfice all for each other. It is the noblest of the Japanese and Western military tradition taken to a scifi extreme.

If you liked TOS and can't handle it being remade I suggest you rent the original Star Blazers and Robotech series if you haven't seen them already. You can get back some of the Battlestar feel without being offended!