Thread: CG Galactica
View Single Post
Old December 5th, 2013, 05:23 AM   #312
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: CG Galactica

Just to ease your mind, Senmut...no I didn't throw that epithet your way at all.

The following is just me, speaking for myself....not for anyone else, and not against anyone else.

I gave up on fandom a loonnnnnng time ago.
I denounce the notion of so called "true fans" (because there are no such animals), and I renounced fandom of anything and everything sometime back. Just too much felgercarb to deal with in fanaticism. Haven't got the time, nor the inclination to deal with fanaticism. (There's enough fanaticism in the world without it spilling into less important things like sports, sci-fi, fantasy, music, etc.)

Am I a fan of Classic BSG? No.
Am I a fan of TNS BSG? No.
Am I a fan of Star Trek? No.
Am I a fan of Star Wars? No.
Babylon 5? No.
Firefly/Serenity? No.
Harry Potter? No.
Sports? No.
Music? No.
Sci-fi/fantasy.....hell....anything? No, no, and hell no.

I still love it all, but I just don't fanatically love it. Yes, I build CG models, make tribute animations, and such, I'll wear t-shirts about my favorite franchises, but it's just out of love for the franchises....not out of any fanaticism toward or about them.

Being a fan in the past just left a serious sore spot for me. Not worth my sanity or health.

My anti-fandom is what allows me to have such varying views on things, whether they fly in the face of others or not, and not lose any sleep over it. I'm not constrained or slavish to lock step thinking about whether or not one show is better than another...whether one version of a franchise is better than another. I broke those chains long ago...they just got too heavy.

It's like what Josh Lyman said on The West Wing when he was addressing a group of students about Jihadi fanaticism. (Following is paraphrased) "You wanna really make 'em mad? You wanna really show them that they're not going to keep us down? That they're not gonna disrupt our way of life and liberty? Keep considering more than one idea about things. That's how you really piss 'em off."