View Single Post
Old March 2nd, 2009, 03:23 AM   #113
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

Regarding the bashing of the original series, ...

Who are we defending against?

I mention this because I think its important to put this sort of thing in context. If the Internet is any example, GINO seems to be primarily supported by people who liked how it bashed George Bush. Almost all of its fans now complain about the shoddy writing and poorly developed storylines, ... much of the same as many of us noted from the start. As time goes by, the special effects will cease to be the latest and greatest (as with all Sci-Fi shows on television) and its "newness" will fade in light of other series.

GINO will take its proper place in the history of Sci-Fi, whatever that place will be, good or bad, without any prodding from us.

If people want to act like jerks and rip apart the old series to try to make their preference look better, all they do is demonstrate that they're jerks. I think most people are smart enough to see that.

Based on my experiences, I think people are also smart enough to see and appreciate good things when they encounter them. Those that have watched the original series with me have recognized its charm. Those I know who followed GINO pretty quickly caught its political bias and attempts to appear more sophisticated than it actually was.

Give this five years and everything will be in its proper place. I've said this since S1 of GINO and I still contend it today. I don't think any of us are well served to get into a TOS vs. GINO competition with anyone, not that I don't think we can make a good arguement but because I don't think our appreciation of the original series will be in any way improved by such a dispute.

... just as I don't think the GINO crowd wins over many converts by bashing the old series.

Russell