View Single Post
Old March 20th, 2005, 10:45 AM   #5
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I had some fun with this one because it allowed me to fix what I felt were the real cringe points of this episode.

#1-The whole "singing the instructions" bit went out.
#2-There are definitely other people still alive on the planet. In fact, this to me was the real reason why Spektor kept Megan alive in the first place. It's not because of the threat from the children, it's because Megan is in all likelihood the only person left who can tell Spektor where all the other people on the planet in hiding are, and because doing a full blown scan/search of the planet would require Spektor asking for more equipment than he knows he should ask for, he just feels he can bide his time and get Megan to break eventually, especially if he ends up with the leverage of threatening to wipe out his family if Megan does not reveal where the other inhabitants are.
#3-I changed the whole relationship between Kyle and Miri to also inject a cultural note about how people on this planet live. I saw the people who lived on this planet as being those who would arrange future marriages of their children when they are very young, and in order to facilitate this, the daughter of a family betrothed in marriage at a young age to the son of another is then sent to live with that family and in effect be brought up by that family so that the children who are pledged to each other basically grow up in an environment as brother and sister first, before they reach the age where they become sealed. So as a result, this enabled me to have Kyle and Miri brought up as brother and sister and where she could think of Megan as an adoptive father, but is also engaged to Kyle as well, and thus her interest in Starbuck can add a bit more plausible dramatic edge to the story.
#4-I have Boomer and another warrior (not Apollo because I can't envision Adama allowing all of his best squadron leaders to be away from the Galactica at this point) arrive *before* the raid on the Cylons so they can take part and help out.
#5-I have Starbuck, Miri and Megan overhear Spektor's final conversation with Baltar where he asks for permission to abandon the planet. This helps reinforce the decision to stay on the planet because they know that (a) they face no immediate danger of the Cylons returning and (b) Megan knows Spektor well enough to realize that Spektor can't *ever* let the truth about what happened come out, so he can feel more secure in reclaiming his home planet for his people.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote