View Single Post
Old March 3rd, 2005, 03:55 PM   #6
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Paul -

Is the post you're referring to, this one?

Quote:
To make a long story short, A&E's rights to 1999 (and many other ITC products) end within the next two years and it sounds like they will NOT be the future distributor thus they are obviously clearing out their stock so they don't get stuck with it.

Granada in the UK plans to release a fully restored 30th Anniversary "RED" dvd collection for Year One only by September 13, 1999 if all goes well. However, lack of interest by A&E means a North American release may not happen for a years if at all. The only drawback is the UK set would only be Region 2 in PAL so you would need a multi-region dvd player that converts PAL to NTSC.
If it is true (and the only way to be sure is to check with the distributors), it's not all that dire. If you read closely, the post is littered with words like "if", "may" and so on. It's all conjecture and unless I missed something, 9/13/99 has come and gone and the sets are still available. I have friends that have gone hog wild and bought not just the US release, but the UK and the Japanese releases as well just to make sure that they get all the extras and the "best" transfers. They have also gone out and spent the money on multi-region DVD players just to watch all of them.

I, for one, was quite pleased with the initial release. I bought it and enjoy watching the episodes, but I'm not looking for that "definitive" or "perfect" version to come out. How many times does an entire series need to be released on DVD to begin with?

I guess that I don't get all the hubbub and my Space:1999 DVD set keeps me warm with the memories of 1975 as it stands.

Unless you have more specific concerns that I missed, you might want to say what it is exactly what's on your mind.

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote