Old April 8th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #9
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Warrior Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouri-Plwel View Post
Hello everyone....new to these boards and just starting my adventure in getting my own warrior uniform for Dragon Con this year. I just purchased a pair of the Joel Roberts replicas and the paint to mod them once they arrive. I am wondering if there is a tutorial out there 1. to safely and properly remove the SIDI nameplate from the top of the boot without ruining the leather, and 2. how to actually paint the poots without ruining the plates and buckles (and boots for that matter). Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
B-P -

I'm not so sure that painting the boots is the best way to change the color. If the replicas (I just found out about those last night) are made of leather like the original Full Bore boots, then using a leather dye might be a better way to go. I used leather dye once on a pair of boots a number of years ago. I found the boots I wanted, but they were brown instead of black. I dyed them black and they came out great - the dye didn't crack or peel over time like painting the boots might. If you use paint instead of dye, the paint needs to be able to have some flexibility to it, or it will crack when the leather bends, leaving the original black color showing through.

As far as the Sidi nameplate on the boots, most of the pics of the boots used in BSG seem to have the nameplate still in place, but color matched to the rest of the boot. I would imagine that removing the nameplates, which are fixed to the boots with pop rivets would either damage the boot, or leave you with 4 holes in the boot and no way to cover them up.

From what I've seen, those replicas are expensive...so you need to make sure what you're going to do in terms of changing the color will work. Once you start the process, there's no going back to undo it.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote