View Single Post
Old February 26th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #22
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
I find this story to be somewhat more problematic, which is why it too remains undone in my general adaptations series. It's not just the natural problems that arise from the fact that here we have the second episode shot, but ultimately taking place in airdate order much later on, but also it's the technical aspects of it that can breeze by rather quickly when watching it, but which stick out more when one sits down to try and analyze it.
This is the one GL episode, that always caused me to grit my teeth on purely technical grounds.

Quote:
It would be easy to explain why Cassiopeia doesn't go along on the mission as the med-tech (the real life reason being Laurette hadn't been retained yet in the series for that role when it was shot). Just add a scene where it's pointed out that she has no training for arctic conditions which necessitates someone of advanced background as Leda is (and perhaps one could even envision Starbuck doing some additional fiddling with the computer to keep her from going if she happened to be assigned!).
If it was a GOIPZ treatment; I concur. If you are trying to clean up the technical faults in the writing, and the plot in general; you sidestep the issue by changing the character and expertise needed, completely.

Quote:
Explaining why the Galactica is locked into going in that particular direction, and why the baseships coming up from behind just don't move in and destroy the Galactica in ship to ship engagement even after the Pulsar is destroyed remain the big stumbling blocks from my standpoint.
1. Make it a fuel, or supply crisis that compels an approach to the planet.
2, Change the nature of the gun, so that it will cover all aspects of a close approach to the planet. Orbitting satellite particle beam cannon defense grid?
3. Understand that space is a huge place in which you can hide, and that radio, even if it is a wormhole edge effect radio, takes TIME to whistle up help. Those base-stars can be hunting, and Baltar may know the RT fleet is in the area. Consider how VAST an area 1E10^3LH^3(10,000 cubic lighthours) is. The RT fleet could be in our own solar system and WE wouldn't see it in that volume of space, if they kept their power consumption, and heat radiation low.

Quote:
Not to mention how does one plausibly and logically construct the manner in which Boxey and Muffit are able to sneak in and stow away aboard the snow ram inside the shuttle in the first place?
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...54C0A96E948260

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Quote:
Can we logically envision a child and his daggit getting past a guarded launch bay area to make their way in?
Yes. You can write a sneak through in the SnowRam's palleted logistic load-out(Hide under the tarp. Lame; but what do you want on a moment's notice?).

Quote:
The simplest answer would be to just jettison Boxey's stowing away altogether as an annoying intrusion but in my case I don't have that luxury since I've already written too many of the episodes after GOIPZ that refer back to his stowing away so I'm always open to some logical suggestions on that one!
Jettison? Agreed.

Actually;

http://forums.colonialfleets.com/showthread.php?t=12689

is a treatment that addresses all of the above issues.

As always;
Damocles is offline   Reply With Quote