View Single Post
Old September 12th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #51
JSC1
Warrior

Default Re: Back and thinking about project

Completed Welsh research a few weeks ago. Kept the notes on hand. Time however has been topsy turvy though.

Anyway a main story in Welsh Mythology is the Four Branches of the Mabinogi, with the life of the main hero Pryderi being the common thread in this story. He's the only character to appear in all four stories. He is considered the son of Pywll and Rhiannon and is the King of Dyfed. He is married to Cigfa.

Llyr-Father of Bran, Brnwen and Manawydan. Imprisoned by Euroswydd. Has two sons:Nisien and Efnisien (Twin Brothers)

Nisien(Nissyen)-Tranquil and Generous
Efnisien (Efnysien)-Vindictive and Destructive
Pwll-Prince of Dyfed
Arawn-Ruler of the underworld called Annwn
Rhiannon-Horse Goddess
Gwawl-Man Rhiannon was forced to marry
Llwd-Seeks revenge for treatment of Gwawl. Turns pregnant wife into mouse
Teyrnon-Pryderi's foster father. Real parents are Arawn and Rhiannon
Branwen-Married to the King of Ireland. But the marraige does not bring peace.
Bran the Blessed(Bendigerdfran)-Giant and King translates as crow. Offers Matholwch a magic cauldron which restores the dead to life. (Bran-Noman?)
Gwern-Son of Branwen and Matholwch. Killed by uncle
Dyfed-Preserved county of Wales
Math-Son of Mathonwy who needs to rest his feet in the lap of a virgin unless he was at war.
Goewin-Math's foot holder, virgin and later wife.

Second page to come later.
One day, I shall come back, yes I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.-William Hartnell, Doctor Who-The Dalek Invasion of Earth
JSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote