View Single Post
Old March 30th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #319
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon View Post
I hate to say this, but a "reimagined" story even when done faithfully to the source material would not interest me one iota.
Agreed. I most certainly am NOT interested in seeing another "reimagined" Hollweird remake.

Quote:
I would much prefer the "next generation" approach that IMO if well-written could do the necessary exposition in a minimal way so that knowledgable fans would understand what was being done and not feel short-changed, but newcomers would have no difficulty picking up on things (particularly if one did a well-made prologue).
I wouldn't mind seeing something like that either. But to do justice to BSG Larson would have to actually be in production right NOW. Not starting tomorrow or next month, but already working on this. BSG fandom ain't getting any younger, nor are the remaining actors.

Quote:
If we've reached a point where the only thing left is to start all over again, then that won't be something I can ever get enthused about. <...> the only thing that can please me is something that wraps up the interrupted storyline of the original series and nothing less.
You could do that with a movie reboot. Heck there's no reason you couldn't do both a reboot and a continuation with the original cast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
I can appreciate and to some degree, agree with what Eric is saying. The idea of having the original story reimagined, rewritten, or retold doesn't really light my fire very much. I know that the original cast is getting on in years, but that didn't seem to stop cast members of Trek TOS to appear in films well past their prime, so I don't see why it should be any different for BSG TOS.
Seems to me, and correct me if I am wrong, that Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica are about as similar as an apple is to an orange.

Aren't the narrative formats entirely different?

Granted both series were episodic but BSG is more of an arcing narrative reliant on continuity whereas ST is open ended narrative in which self-contained stories can be dropped in wily-nily at any point without care or concern for continuity, logic, or any semblance of a link to what came before.

Quote:
The actors in BSG were in a show 10 years after Trek TOS was on TV and some were a bit younger than some Trek TOS cast members in the 1960's
And Nimoy was in TNG and is suppsedly appearing in the prequel movie. So what? The narrative structure allowed for continued story lines. Battlestar Galactica is like Babylon 5, it's narrative is structured. Go outside that structure and you get nonsense like G80.

Quote:
I really would finally like to see a multi-generation version of BSG blending both the remaining original cast members and some new unknowns as well.
Continuation stories are possible. There's some great speculative BSG continuation fanfic out there. Assuming Larson can get the cast on board with a project, put together a decent story that doesn't involve Borg-Cylons or Atlantis, I'm all for it.

Quote:
Looking forward, not all the way back seems like the best solution for fans of the original and potential fans of something new.
If "looking forward" and having a continuation utlizing the original cast is really what you want don't tell that to Hollywood. Because, to them, "looking forward" will mean a reboot with fresh faces and :shudders: a dumbed down re-imagined story line ala [insert any recent Hollwood movie remake abortion here].

Remember Hollywood doesn't look at narrative structure or plot or story all they care about is the bottom line; meaning money. To them BSG is just a "property" to exploit and a movie with, what to them, will appear to be a bunch of old washed up codgers as co-stars isn't what Hollywood's money machine bankrolls. They like movies with twenty-somethings passing themselves off as teens full of mindless amoral violence that they can sell to a tween demographic.
Kester Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote