SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Quote:
Originally posted by Oenone
I was going to address this as part of another thread but I'll address this specific issue here.

The method of FTL travel the writers have chosen is called Zero Temporal Transit where an object instantly moves from one point in space to another. I believe this idea is based on EE Doc Smith's Lensman books. The larger an object is the more energy is required to jump from one location to another. To reduce their energy requirements and increase their jump range ships pull in their ancillary components to reduce size before making the jump.

I suspect the Galactica may be able to jump with it's bays open but will have a greatly reduced range. The cost of maintaining large equipment to move the bays is made up for in increased range. All this however is just speculation.

EE Doc Smith also seems to point out a requirement for the ships to be symmetrical but I've got no idea why this is necessary.

Basically the reason the launch bays have to be retracted is give more realistic physics and as an extra plot tool if they decide on a series.
Um, No.

"Doc" Smith postulated the "Inertialess" Drive in the Lensman novels. A device known as a "Bergenholm" neutralized inertia, which allowed a ship to exceed the speed of light. It was not instantaneous travel.

Also, the ships were first spherical, then tear-drop shaped - streamlined, not symmetrical - because there is matter in space and at speeds greater than light even atoms would be an issue.

Of course, I think he overlooked some basic physics, and failed miserably to consider advances in technology after the 1940s and 50s, but they're fun to read still.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote