View Single Post
Old March 11th, 2004, 08:54 PM   #147
larocque6689
Warrior

People

Some of your comments are valid, including discussion of Glen Larson's TV career, and speculating on the personal costs or motivations of Richard Hatch's investment in Galactica or his acting career.

All the same, cut Richard some slack.

I don't know Richard Hatch. Although I supported Richard's efforts to bring back Galactica, I was never a full-blown Hatch supporter, and respectfully disagreed with those who wanted to base a BSG upon his novels (Commander Apollo doesn't hold a lot appeal to me). But I think the broad outline of Richard's vision is something shared by a great many fans of the original series. I've learned over the years to give the guy a lot of respect, and found his remark poignant in a recent interview that he was in love with "somebody else's woman" (BSG). Never develop a passion for something that is not yours because the loss will hurt you even harder when it slips away.

I really feel for him. I don't think anybody has raised the Galactican profile higher in the past decade than Richard Hatch, and he's received the reluctant acknowledgement from the other main players in the revival drama. In some respects, Richard has functioned as a "voice of conscience", reminding them of what Galactica was, is and could be. I sometimes wonder if Richard is forcing us to envision Galactica as someting better than what it originally was.

Hatch was not the only player in the BSG revival saga of the past ten years, but his was one of the most important because his was the most connected with the actual fans. I watched this relationship evolve over the years, from reluctant acceptance to that of generous support.

There were other players. I've always related to the more stoic and philosophical Dirk Benedict. For him it was a great blessing as well as another acting gig. One of Galactica's number one "fanboys" Tom Desanto very nearly pulled it off several years ago. Glen Larson still holds a few cards in the deck and he will be a key player if Desanto gets a second turn at bat or another new player emerges.

You'll find at ColonialFleets many people who have worked with, or have known, Richard Hatch, over the years. He has inspired loyalty in the friends he has made. I've read their comments, and it's impacted my own opinion of Richard Hatch - both the man, the actor and the Battlestar Galactica fan.

There's nothing which says that you have to agree with the "Richard Hatch" vision of Battlestar. But I think he deserves some respect all the same.