View Single Post
Old July 27th, 2014, 03:18 PM   #122
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News

Folks, there is no "good fight". Not anymore.

Producers are going to do whatever they want to do. Their only interest is in generating money. If they get it out of the old school fans, great. If they generate tons of new viewers and fans, well, for them, that's greater.

Know why?

Old fans die. Sometimes they die simply in the sense that they refuse to step forward to the new offering. Other old fans die as in dead and buried. In any case, a dead fan (whether metaphorical or literal) is not a money spending fan.

So, the choice is:
Keep writing the same ol' fluff that attracts the old school fans, and does nothing for the modern audiences. Keep writing the same ol' fluff til the old school fans are gone, and then you're writing to thin air.

Or you can write a new version that appeals to the modern audiences. You can choose to respect the old schoolers with a couple of nods here and there, or implement the one or two elements of the old stuff that might actually be transcendent enough to extend into the modern market, but most of it is going to have to be what appeals to today's guard.

Why? 'Cause that's where the money is. The new guard.

Recently, I had the relative displeasure of watching (out of morbid curiosity) "The People vs. George Lucas". A most damning tale about the nature of fandom if ever I saw one...and further justification for my abandoning fandom. Fans think they own the very thing that they don't. "Please don't take my Star Wars awayyyy.....I wrote the next paaart."

Back when I was a fan, I used to think that I had a damn good continuation for old school Galactica. But, it was a pipe dream...and I realized I had fallen into the fanboy trap. That's part of the reason why I never finished my other fan-fics. What was the point? Except to write them for myself? Ultimately, that's what you have to do is write for yourself, with the notion that it's never going to make a difference anywhere.

Fans don't decide things. Producers do.

All the fans can do is latch on and enjoy, or scream "childhood rape victim" and rage in futility and impotence until someone listens...which no one ever will.

I, as a non-fan of anything anymore, have only one requirement from Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, or The Muppet Show: Entertain me. If the movies/shows have done this, then mission accomplished, for I hold no higher standard to any one over any other.

Nowhere do I mandate that there must be some kind of fanservice done for my benefit or masturbatory fanboy pleasure.

If what I am seeing is an entirely new take on something I loved before, please, simply, entertain me.

Read my signature, folks. It helps.