View Single Post
Old April 8th, 2009, 08:32 AM   #27
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Default Re: Best SF Series that Almost Were

Damocles,

While I understand what you're saying the standard you want to apply would mean we'd be talking about virtually every sci-fi series that ever was since, with rare exception, all were cancelled well before they ever produced that many episodes. This would include Firefly, and I think we can all agree that series, though cancelled prematurely, at least had a sense of closure with it's DVD release and movie. So it sort of "made it".

However what about those old PTEN/UPN series? How many episodes of TIME TRAX were there? Did it make it to DVD? And wasn't there a couple of short lived virtual reality series? I think one was called VR5. . ?

Anyway I meant this thread for discussing more than just series that fizzled. I really would like to know more about series that never quite made it past a few episodes and got cancelled before all their episodes aired (Space Rangers, Mercy Point) or before they actually got a chance to air any episodes (The Osiris Chronicles). I, like many here, probably missed a LOT of these series when they originally aired.

Though I suppose, to be fair, and in light of the distinctions you've brought up, we probably should expand this to discuss series that never quite made it out of the development/pilot stage yet may have had some test footage and/or sets built. For instance the original Trek reboot series morphed into Star Trek: The Motion Picture and it's unfilmed scripts, and some characters, were recycled into Star Trek: The Next Generation. I'm sure there's all sorts of trivia out there about series that began as one thing and morphed into another, sort of like how Gene Roddenberry's failed post-apoc series about the adventures of Dylan Hunt finally made it, but re-envisioned as a space opera (Andromeda).

And that's the end of the trivial knowledge I possess. Anyone have more SF trivia they'd like to share?
Kester Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote