Acting: 5/5
Sound: 4/5
Visuals: 4/5
Endorphin Factor: 3/5
Big Screen Experience: 2/5
Scoring system:
Average: 3.6/5

MOVIES IT COULD BE COMPARED TO: Star Wars, Tombstone, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

DETAILS: Well, I bought the DVD release of Serenity. Did it hold up better on DVD than it did as a "big screen" film? Yes.....and no.

The story and the acting are two of the things I absolutely loved about this film, and the dialogue is excellent. (Watching it in subtitles helps to catch all the subtleties one may have missed.)

Visually, the effects are still ranging from pretty darn good, to pretty darn good for a console videogame (the latter particularly screams itself out on the small screen).

The action on the screen fills up better in full frame, (much the way Star Trek First Contact did) but sadly whether watching it in full or widescreen, it still looks like nothing more than a missing episode of Firefly.

Also, in watching the film, I can see why it did not do so well in the theatres. Anyone who may have watched it without having seen the television show would most likely be lost with certain events in the film....and that is not something that calls for favorable word of mouth. "I couldn't understand the story because I never saw the television show. What the frack was going on?"

BOTTOM LINE: I am happy that I did get Serenity on DVD. It is a good story, and one I will obviously watch repeatedly. It's just sad that a movie with so much potential fell so short in so many other areas. Jewel Staite is just too hot.