View Single Post
Old March 4th, 2003, 02:02 AM   #11
WXM
Shuttle Pilot

Default Thanks! Since you?re approving so far...

...I'll just keep spewing, in case one of the panicking studio persons above (if such a thing does happen) needs ideas and wants a single thread from which to get a bunch ideas

The ship. This is the one place where the beefy-iness factor for an update can be greatly exploited. The model didn't get utilized enough in the original (that is if you don't include seeing the same shots of it over and over) and that is a shame, and I, along with most everyone else here surely, believe the original model should be used for at least a couple of really nice shots in the update if the update is going to use primarily CGI (I'm ignoring the idea for the moment that the possibility of an entirely different ship design exists).

The model of the Battlestar Galactica was designed and built to be the centerpiece of the expensive show. You may know this, but the model itself actually has a cult following. There are several people around the world working on their own Battlestars, accurate reproductions of the original studio model. This is no small undertaking as the Battlestar model was built by none other than the effects house that worked on the original Star Wars (before it was called "Episode IV: A New Hope"), right after Star Wars. This very talented group of model builders set out to build the grandest starship model ever created, and basically succeeded (depending on who you talk to- -some ties/runner-ups would include the motion picture Enterprise and the Executor "super star destroyer" from Empire Strikes Back.)

The thing has already been designed and built and it has even been restored. Why start from scratch when there's a work that is the result of so much time, effort and cost sitting there with nothing to do? If you wanted to add a little to the exterior to show that it had maybe gone through some modifications over the 25 years, fine by me (and surely a piece of cake to accomplish too). The original already looked pretty "mean." With new firing effects alone added to this same ol' ship (did the R.H. trailer have something like this?)...well, I think you can imagine how neat it could be...except for Stevew. Judging by your avatar I get the impression you have no imagination when it comes to picturing Battlestar Galactica ships. (<- my sense of humor at work)

It's been a while since I looked some of the above info up and my memory could be fuzzy on some of it. If there are any experts out there who'd like to correct me on something or would like to add to this, please do! This is 3D Gladiators after all!

(P.S.- Am I just rehashing things that people have already said a bunch in the past, by the way?)