View Single Post
Old March 3rd, 2003, 04:26 PM   #8
WXM
Shuttle Pilot

Default Thanks for the warm welcome!

I came up with another (not quite on-target) example of the way the new studio team(s) could have looked at this project. Everyone brings up Star Trek the Motion Picture, but another one is Macross, the TV series that was upgraded into a big budget movie (which I'm sure some of you are familiar with Macross). It's not quite the same because that movie was a remake and it was done right on the tail of the TV series, but the upgrading they did on the design and production was great, made you go "Oooo!" and "Aaahh!" I get the impression that this is the reaction that Mr. Hatch's trailer brought to many folks who saw it. Since there is 25 years between BG (TOS) and a continuation, you can upgrade the things that, from new Hollywood's standpoint, could use an updating (there are some elements of the original BG that can probably be categorized as needing it), and (this isn't an attack!) even some of the canon can be fudged with slightly, all without batting an eyelash from the perpectives of both writing difficulty (lack of) and in keeping it a 90% plus faithful to canon continuation, one which would surely please almost all of the harcore fans as well as being captivating to anyone tuning in for the first time. Again, all that any reasonable studio heads might see as being "wrong" with the old BG [i]could be easily be corrected with a Richard continuation that would keep the real fans happy[/]. IT BOGGLES THE MIND THAT THEY DON'T SEE THAT!

I admit I love some of RDM's stuff, as I think some of you do (or used to), but without even reading his BG script I wouldn't tune in to this thing that is supposedly in the works. The amount of research (assuming what I've heard on these boards is correct) he apparently put into refreshing himself on the original is pathetic. There are some writers who are truly GREAT, which usualy means their track record of consistency in their turning out great material is high. RDM is not such a person (MI:2 was TRASH, garbage, junk, even though it didn't need to be). And that whole thing on the sci-fi board with the hoard of "Moore supporters"... that was surreal, unbelievable. If I had seen something like that in a work of fiction, I would've had to have said to myself, "Okay, time to turn on suspension of disbelief." I think it's accurate for me to say that it actually made me kind of both saddened and sickened. I feel sorry for all of you who endured seeing that fiasco!

Not that I'm anybody, but I say have faith. Hopefully others you've never heard from before also sent in letters that'll help Mr. Diller and co. see the light. Though I am a pretty cynical person often, I still say that logic and common sense have a decent enough chance of prevailing here. There are many people involved in the new BG, which means that (unlike the Star Wars franchise) there are many brains in which the "Okay, something isn't right with this" flag can click and wave and it'll result in something tangible.

Got to go to work. Maybe I'll have heard thoughts from some of you when I get back. Again, thanks for the warm welcome!