Old November 10th, 2012, 06:37 AM   #8
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica - Blood & Chrome

I enjoyed it far more than any episode I've seen of the new Galactica, but then I think they've subtly 'reimagined' or done a soft reboot of the material.

The virtual sets are better than what we saw in the new V, but there's still sometimes that look of people being placed or stamped on/in a surrounding that they can't physically touch.

Human being, by nature are incredibly tactile – they slouch, lean and fidget with things, they can't do that with greenscreen sets so there's still that unreality happening. Also, set designers/art directors are incredibly valuable, one could have told the FX guys, that while they're sets have that great whiz-bang look, they're a bit overcomplicated and sometimes less is more. The soft focus and the lens flares don't help matters either.

The reworking of the flying dustbuster is a huge improvement and the new Vipers are tweaked ones from the 2003 video game FMVs – a design that I always liked.

Luke Paqualino playing Adama is a far, far better actor than Nico Cortez and Ben Cotton as Coker is great support.

There's more of a Space: Above And Beyond vibe about this, which is rich when you consider that the new show borrowed heavily from that series.

Composer Bear McCreary continues to treat Stu Phillips with great respect and I noticed the mention of the Celestra.

3/5