GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News

Fan stuff vs Hollywood stuff- First, lemme correct a little something here:
Quote:
Lara, you left out the various Writer's Guilds, Director's, Screen Actor's Guilds, etc.. If you are not a member of the Guild with a qualifying Agent is the reason no one in or from Hollywood will look at anyone's scripts, stories, plot ideas.
This isn't quite true. Star Trek TNG did have fan submission for stories that they bought and ended up producing into episodes. The most well known person to me to have gained "fame" going that route is one Dennis Baily. Many who were a part of the 3DG days will know who I am talking about.

Anyways... Many fan endeavors are getting longer in length and better in quality. The typical viewing fan doesn't care where the source came from, whether it is fan made or Hollywood made, they want good stories, acting and FX. Hollywood is in danger of losing out to fan created material because the fan created material will be offered for FREE viewing right here on the internet.

The various Star Trek projects out there by fans is what is really keeping Star Trek off the television screen right now. Hollywood doesn't want to pay an enormous amount for something of which its quality is no better than a cheaply made fan project. Certainly Hollywood could go after them for copyright infringement, etc, but guess what? That'd be a huge losing battle for Hollywood. Fans will create, no matter what. Hollywood can't stop them. So long as the fans do not try to make a profit off said projects, they are pretty much untouchable. In addition, the work put into these projects by fans showcases their work so that some Hollywood studios DO hire them for whatever. Case in point is a guy right here at CF that is nothing but a huge fan boy, but his modeling skills were showcased through his various works, and he got hired to work on a certain mini series. I won't name him, cuz his ego is too big as it is (plus he's a Vikings fan.... UGH!) and his head swells up bigger than Jupiter when he gets praise (I am joking, of course. Don is one of the best people on this planet).
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote