View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:18 AM   #92
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMaster
Except that the screen isn't a computer read out of a sensor show; it's the readout of a database, and Minbari ships head their stealth OFF on many an occasion.
Database? Then as I said-continuity error. In the original B-5 series bible JMS wrote, the station was supposed to be a kilometer long. OOPS. The CGI was in and the episode filmed before the 5x size amplification was made to scale humans properly to the CGI station goof. Everything else miscaled stems from that one mistake. Fortunately the White Star goofs and the Minbari warcruiser miscales are counted on the fingers of one hand. The data screen cap I will now explain away as bum data generated as a positive target database match from old bum Prometheus IFF generated data from the first contact; sort of like the computer reading the radar returrn from thr B-2, searching its data base and giving you a Cessna turboprop performance readout to go with your signal authentication.

Quote:
A white star is not a minbari war cruiser, the white star is quite a bit faster and more maneuverable. 2381 kilometers per second isn't even a hundrethst of a percent of c, let alone in the tenth range.
That was to show you the relative speeds of two B-5 ships. If you think 2381 kilometers per second is SLOW, let me remind you that Earth's escape velocity is around 115 kps and that the Agamemnon showed an onscreen hustle that was twenty times greater.

Quote:
Against a pathetic vessel it becomes pathetic firepower.
That filmed series of asteroid shots and impacts on the ISD in ESB? Those shots of the Mons actually hulling a couple of ISDs in RotJ? Extrapolate.

Quote:
And to me, I don't care. The picture is just the SFX guy's artist's impression; not what actually happened.
Fundamental disagreement that we will not bridge.

Quote:
Again, I don't care about a single asteroid shot in 6 films. If the firepower range is destroys entire asteroids, and wipes out continents, the battle of Curoscent in RotS would have leveled the planetary city with the ground. Every miss - and there are a lot - would have been giant fire balls vaporizing pieces of the planet with 1000 kilomter radius. They just don't have that kind of power, they don't.
I know a LOT about particle beams and problems called divergence and blooming. Atmospheres are tough media for a particle beam to pierce without massive scattering and blooming effects. Lucas got it wrong(again). You should have seen massive gas boiling, formation of coriolis effects,(instant hurricanes) and ripple splash in the atmosphere where beams hit Coruscant. 1000 kilometer wide explosions aren't in the cards when you discuss energies even high enough to vaporize 300 meter rocks. At most you might get a 5-10 km crater at beam strike explosion if the beam hit the planet's surface.

Best wishes;
Damocles is offline   Reply With Quote