View Single Post
Old March 13th, 2011, 07:22 AM   #53
WarMachine
Warrior

Default Re: Colonial Fleet star system Cyrannus

@Taranis: Paint's not the problem - my lack of skill is.

@Peter: Your first question needs to be more specific - are you referring to "moons" as in Luna (no atmosphere)? Based on the Sol system itself...my gosh, 90-100 is not too few -- before you add in asteroids, like Ceres. If you mean something like Titan (that is big enough and dense enough to hold an atmosphere)...One or two per Gas Giant is reasonable, based on what we've seen in our own system.

Your second question is a lot more technical, and relates to how an Alderson Drive works, but I'll summarize it this way.

Borallis is probably a "minor world", in that it likely only has one or two Jump Points leading into the system. Not all stars are going to have Jump Points, meaning that if you want to go to those systems, you'll have to chug along in real space to get there. Wasn't Borallis on the way to Carillon?

Cyrannus System is what would be termed a "nexus" system (as would the Cylon Capitol), because there are so many Jump Points available. Think of an Alderson Point as the Suez or Panama Canals - the more places you can get to by passing through the system, the more traffic will come through. In this model, Cyrannus is more akin to the Straits of Gibraltar or Malacca, each of which sees over a thousand ships a day pass through.

This is also how you can summon reinforcements, and thus win battles...unless you really screw up. *koff*Cimtar*koff*

Two or three Jump Points would be normal for c.85% of systems. Four or Five Jump Points in a system would be unusual. Six or more would be the home of a super-high traffic mega-capitol. (For reference, if the Alderson Drive were what was in use in Star Wars, Coruscant would have 8-10 Jump Points. Minimum.) Gomorray likely has 4 or 5 Alderson Points, also; Cylon probably has the same, but might go as high as six or seven.

Once the RTF gets out past Charted Space, after HoG, they are going to be safe from all but the closest Cylon pursuers, if any are able to actually follow them.....